Chapter Thirty-Five

Two days go by with the sun fighting through the wintery clouds to bring spring's first touches onto the landscape. The snow is gradually melting and the birds are beginning to spread their wings and raise their sing song voices. The temperatures have risen surprisingly fast, and I hum in delight as I jog down the cabin's steps, throwing my hair up into a ponytail. I glance towards the lake and walk towards it, my trainers speeding up the process of the melting snow. I crouch onto one knee and hesitantly poke the surface of the icy lake with one finger. Slowly, a crack goes from my finger and stretches out into the ice, and I smile to myself.

"You shouldn't enjoy it melting." Damien's voice reaches me from behind and I stand upright, crossing my arms with a tilted head. I narrow my eyes in suspicion.

-What's wrong with being enthusiastic?" I ask calmly, trying my best not to punch that cocky face. Despite his amusement shown in Asher's office two days ago, his demeanour has gone back to being cold and unemotional, particularly rude towards me by the way.

-There's nothing to be enthusiastic about, concerning that." He nods towards the beautiful lake and I widen my eyes in disbelief.

"What's got your panties in a twist?" He shoots me a glare and sprints off towards the forest, his body trembling with rage and something else. In a second a furious beast has replaced his human body and he melts into the shadows trees.

I sigh and cast one last longing look towards the lake, before setting of into my own quiet jog.

Yet another secret about the mysterious Damien...

I've arranged to meet with Aiyana later today, and starting the day with a quick run to warm me up can't be too bad can it?

You'll be beaten up anyway, there's no point.

That little inside voice keeps on nagging me but I shove it away, trying my best to stay hopeful. Even though with the way she'd fought me last time, there's a very slim chance of hope. But she's just teaching me how to fight right? Surely she won't take it to be more than that and actually kill me right?

Oh boy...

A soft smile plays on my lips as I run into another direction that Damien had gone into the trees, marvelling in the sensation of the quiet breeze on my skin and the warmth of the sun-rays filtering through the tree tops. The green leaves are sprouting from the branches, and their dances go along with the blossoming of surrounding flowers. I keep on running forwards, my breaths coming out in small puffs as I feel my heartbeat accelerate. I'm near my breaking point when a hard impact hits the side of my body and I face-plant into the melting snow.

Hysterical laughter echoes all around me and I try to situate the one voice in my spinning voice. Usually, that voice is nothing else but severe, certainly never happy. Groaning, I flat my palms and push myself up on trembling legs, shivering as some of the water from the snow stays on my clothes. I turn around and nearly have a heart-attack as Aiyana runs and stops in front of me in unnatural speed, still cackling to herself. She bends over and clutches her stomach, wheezing like a very disturbed seal.

"OH MY GOD! You should have seen your face!" She lifts a finger when I'm about to protest and lets out more laughter. "Oh wait! You-you couldn't because it was in the snow!"

Even I fight a smile at that, still rubbing the sore spot in my side. "What was that for?" I retort, shooting playful daggers at her. Why is she being so playful?

Oh wait...

In a second her playfulness has dissipated and she fixes me with a cold stare.

"Lesson number one: always be aware of your surroundings; your enemy could be anywhere." She turns to leave and marches in a rapid pace. I let out an annoyed sigh and run after her, struggling to catch up with her long strides.