Chapter Eighteen

*A/N: This took me a long time to write, because PERFECTIONIST OVER HERE. It's a problem sometimes...

-Sophia, xoxo

••••

I continue my angry strides down the hall, and proceed to take the steps down two at a time. A delicious scent reaches me and I face the kitchen, watching with awe as Pam flips homemade pancakes effortlessly in a pan.

The older lady lifts her smiling wrinkled face and happiness twinkles in her eyes at the sight of her grandson's mate.

"Hello my dear, are you feeling better?" She inquires softly, her eyes zooming in on the crown of my head where it had bashed against the lockers.

-Hi Pam, thank you so much for taking care of me while I was out. I'm feeling better now." At my response she laughs quietly, and I furrow my brows.

-What's wrong?

-Oh no darling, it's not you. It's just that I would have thought that Asher told you that he was the one to tend to your wounds while you were asleep. It seems like he did a good job by the looks of it." She returns to her pancakes, pretending not to notice the flames that heat up my cheeks as a light smile plays on her lips.

-Are you staying for pancakes?" She asks sweetly, proceeding to cut up strawberries to go with it.

-Umm... I-"

-I'm going out." An ice-cold voice echoes around the room and I squeeze my eyes shut with tension just as a muscular, tall body flies down the stairs and right past me, practically touching my back. The front door of the luxurious cabin slams shut and the room is set in silence.

"If you stay, I'll clear up some things." Pam speaks up, meeting my eyes. I'm startled by the sudden sadness that fills their hollows. When I don't reply she continues, "I might only be his Gran, but I have filled the hole in his chest since a long time back. You might want to know why he has these... reactions."

The hidden curiosity inside of me steers and I have to swallow back the lump that begins to form at the back of my throat.

-I'll stay." I breathe out, trying to ease out the tension that holds my body frozen. She nods and smiles at me with appreciation, grabbing two plates and shoving some strawberries and a pancake on each.

"Syrup?"

I shake my head no and she brings the two plates to the island counter, sliding on to a bar stool and patting the one next to her for me to sit.

I settle in next to her and hesitantly pick at the pancake.

"The poor boy was only five when it happened." Her sorrowful voice startles me from the sudden abruptness of it and I quickly shove a forkful of pancake dough into my mouth to prevent the nervous gulp from being heard. I watch as her eyes glaze over with nostalgia and her voice blows out, almost like a whisper.

"We were walking hand in hand in the tranquil forest with his mother - my lovely daughter - by his side, myself and him pointing out the different species of blooming flowers and rich blossoms. The sun was slowly setting and all three of our laughters mixed with the light gusts of wind." She turns to me and seeing my inquisitive expression, lets out a trembling breath as the memories flood back to her. "You have to know that we were still inside of the pack borders, near enough this lake to find our way back, but far enough to escape the howls and growls and grunts of the male wolves fighting and training, and the obnoxious laughter of the eager young, unmated females. Asher's parents were having... difficulties, at that time."