Chapter Twenty-Three

I push myself through the heavy crowd to finally find an unpopulated spot where I can continue my search. The whistles and cheers burn my ears and a headache pounds in my skull. The floodlights light up the ever green football field and force me to squint my eyes from the radiation.

"Cami!" A familiar voice cuts through the cheers and I make my way further up the bleachers, excusing myself and earning a few insults as I push into the people to get pass. "Hey girl!" I look up and a stupid grin stretches across my face when I see Jack strutting and dancing around like a cheerleader. People are looking weirdly at the group and Emma looks ready to kill him, and herself.

I force the thought away from my head as I notice that her pale complexion has turned ghostly white, and she doesn't seem to be getting better. She coughs violently and Zander pulls her into his side with a tortured look on his face, rubbing her arm up and down comfortingly to protect her from the cold.

"What's up Cami?" Jasper says from Jack's side.

-The sky.

-Gets worse every time..." I see Damien's dark and gloomy figure seated beside Asher as he mutters. I glance at him.

You can't fight.

You can't fight.

I narrow my eyes and stomp over to Asher's side with annoyance. He meets my eyes and I find myself drowning into his endless blue green pools, any anger evaporating into nothing. He pulls me down by my side and hugs me closer, and immediately his body heat creates a warm cocoon around me. I glance to my side and cock an eyebrow when Jack winks at me and wiggles his eyebrows suggestively. I know that I have to bring it up to Asher, in fact, there's a lot that we have to talk about. I even doubt that Emma's told anyone about my Caster powers yet.

Suddenly a sharp pain similar to the headache pierced through me and I groan.

"Camilla? Cami, are you okay?" Asher rubs my back soothingly and I nod with much effort, letting out a sigh of relief when it disappears.

Weird...

We all look up when both opposing teams run out onto the field. I zone out for all the formalities and jump, startled, when Jack and Jasper release a cheer as the game starts.

"Something's wrong." Asher suddenly says out of nowhere as a little unpleasant tingle buzzes in the back of my head.

"I know."

-No, I mean it; somethings not right.

-I know." I emphasize, and he turns to look at me with a wandering frown on his face.

-How?"

Before another word escapes my mouth the floodlights die and the bleachers, the field and the curious faces of the public are drowned in darkness. The cheers fade and a crackled voice resonates from the speakers.

"Good evening everyone, we seem to be having some technical problems, and we are more likely to solve it if you will all stay in order and not panic. Thank you for being with us here tonight, and we hope that you'll enjoy the rest of the game when we've solved the problem. Thank you."

A low murmur lifts from the crowd as people discuss and complain.

"Well this is fun." Jack pipes up.

-Shut up, they were about to score." Jasper groans in annoyance.

-They would have missed.

-They would not!