Chapter Eleven

A million thoughts are swarming around in my head, and I can barely even hear what Emma says to me as we pull up to my house. When the car finally stops and the engine's roar dims to a soft purr, I jump out of the car and take my bag with me, already sinking under the unbearable weight. 

Oh yeah, homework.

But Asher. Really? Why him, why is he the one telling my so-called friends to keep the answers to my questions to themselves? Why, in his right mind, can I not keep my sanity intact? 

I give my friends a tight smile and walk up the porch's steps, hearing the engine start up again and the churning of the wheels as they drive off. I enter the house and shut the door behind me, sliding my bag off of my shoulder and letting it drop to the floor with a sigh. I close my eyes and rub my temples with more force than intended, trying to rid myself of all of the pictures and emotions running through the nerves in my brain. This isn't how a seventeen-year-old girl's life is supposed to be like. I shouldn't be worried about hidden answers, or about a murderer stalking my every move, or about visions filling my sleep with nightmares. I should be thinking about my future, going out with my friends, being stupid and reckless and look back at those times when I'm an old granny with a satisfied smile on my face. Feeling as though I've lived my life to the fullest.

I am living the complete opposite. 

"CCAAAAAMIIII!" A lovely singing voice echoes around the house and I hear little footsteps running towards me on the wooden floor. I bend down and pick Mary up in my arms, twirling her around in the air. She lets out a squeal of delight and I peck the tip of her nose, sticking my tongue out at her playfully when she pulls a silly face. "Do you wanna come to the Christmas market?" 

"Christmas market," I let out with disbelief, setting her down on her tiny feet, a look of pure innocent curiosity on her angelic face. I walk over to the kitchen and peer at the calendar hanging on the wall, a taunting reminder of the actual speed that the time is still going by. It feels as though the days are slipping through my fingers, and I can't do anything to catch them. But there it is; a big, bright and fat reminder of a number on the card stock paper. The 8th of December. 

"Hello darling, how was school?" Dad's voice sounds from behind me, and I step into his open arms gratefully, burying my face in the comforting scent of his homely sweater. 

"I can't believe how fast the time has gone," I whisper, almost thinking that he wouldn't hear it. 

"You just gotta live life to the fullest," he replies back, stroking my hair gently and stepping back to scan my face. "What's going on with you? I feel like we haven't seen you in a while."  I slide away from his grasp and let out a sigh, passing a hand through my dishevelled hair. 

"I don't know, everything is just so... weird. And confusing. Definitely confusing. Everything seems to be getting on my nerves since we moved here."  Dad lets out a chuckle at that and I arch an eyebrow. 

"Yeah, I know what you mean. But just give it a chance, okay? This is the perfect place to get rid of all that - mess from our pasts." He sends me a last, long before turning around, strolling off towards his office and clicking his fingers pensively on the way. I squeeze my eyes shut as the image of a knife flashes across my vision. Nope, not going there. That happened ages ago, back in my hometown. But I'm past that, and she's never coming back. 

"Cami? Do you want to come with me," Mary chirps up, skipping over to me and looking up at me beneath her long lashes with huge, blue puppy eyes. I giggle and crouch down in front of her. 

"Sure Mimi, we'll go when I've done my homework okay?" She nods with excitement and begins to skip off towards the staircase. Suddenly she stops and turns to me.