Chapter Nine

Before anyone can react, my nails are dug into his flesh and we both tumble to the ground, causing a terrifying shaking movement from the wobbly cart. I can hear children screaming in the neighbouring cars as we roll around and the wheel jerks to a stop. I don't even notice that Killian is merely lying there with a gleeful expression as I bite and scratch and scream at him, eyes wild with fury. Asher's arms tighten around my waist and I can't and won't savour the feeling as my body is shaking violently with rage. I thrash and kick against his firm hold but he doesn't budge. Instead, he holds me tightly against him with a stony face, not moving, practically not breathing. He's as cool and composed as stone. I can feel the steady beat of his heart against my back, pounding calmly against his rib cage, and that's what eventually gets me to take a breather and take it down a notch. But I also notice the way his stiff fingers beat against my waist as he holds me in place, getting more and more twitchy and erratic. He's a hurricane underneath that cool facade. 

Killian rises to his feet with a smug look on his face. Two bright red claw marks are inked across his cheek, but he doesn't seem to mind in the slightest. In fact, it's as if he doesn't care that I've branded him with a permanent mark for the rest of his life, clearly visible on his otherwise flawless face. They are a clear contrast, a prominent sign that will urge unwanted eyes in his direction. "Feisty," he says casually, crossing his arms and eyeing me up like I'm a piece of meat. I take a step forwards and grit my teeth, but am held back by Asher who still hasn't commented. How can he not be more thrown off by this? I resist the urge to just claw Killian's eyes out and be done with it. Asher finally moves, tilting his head and whispering in my ear, the hard muscles of his chest pressed firmly against my back. "Don't." 

Minutes seem to pass, a deadly silence filling the void as both men size each other up with defiance. They know each other. They definitely do. And it's most likely not from gossiping and drinking tea at the salon together. Suddenly, a shiver courses through me and I waver on my feet as a forceful pressure rises up deep within me. I get this incomprehensible feeling that something like this has happened to me before. I feel like it's occurred in the past, at some point in my early life, but I can't pinpoint it. It shakes my body and my vision goes blank, before immediately clearing up again. Asher turns me slightly in his hold and looks at me with confusion, while Killian smiles broadly with a mischievous glint in his pale eyes as if he's got the key to all the secrets in the world. My eyes suddenly widen when the very prominent claw marks on Killian's face fade from bright scarlet to a lighter pink, before completely disappearing. Cold, pale and utterly flawless skin is left behind in its stead. "What the-" I begin with astonishment. But before I can finish, the world fades around me and I fall into oblivion. 

·

"Camilla? Cami, wake up." I blink several times as my eyes open, grogginess washing over me in a heartbeat. My brow furrows when Asher's face pops into view. Behind him, the twinkling lights of the carnival are still on, casting golden and silver glows onto the funfair. Children's laughter rises to my ears as I push myself up onto my elbows. I glance around the Ferris wheel's cart. I f

"Asher?" I begin, completely disoriented. "What-" 

"You fainted. Or rather, awoke," Killian's cold voice sounds from above, and I slowly stand up, noticing that we are nearly at the bottom of the ride again, mere metres above ground. As I glance at him, my eyes widen and my feet stay planted with shock at the impossible sight in front of me: two red claw marks are tattooed on his cheek. He seems to enjoy my reaction and he extends a hand, urging me to take it with taunting eyes. I place my hand in his and Asher tenses beside me, seemingly suppressing an unwanted reaction among the people below us, enjoying their evening outing in the Winter Wonderland festival. 

"But they disappeared," I stammer, stumbling over my words. "How-?" Killian cuts me off by shaking his head, leaning in to whisper in my ear. 

"It's starting, my dear. Your visions," he simply whispers. More confusion fills the already over-spilling mass inside of me.