Chapter Thirty-Two

I finish unpacking my bag, carefully setting the orb onto the night-table in Asher's room. He didn't even question it, just threw a curious look my way.

Yup, he knows that he's sleeping on the floor.

The night has finally settled, and the rest of the guys and Emma still haven't returned. Asher had told me that they were out gathering more information about Killian and his 'helpers'. I block out my thoughts with a sigh, deciding to set aside my worries for now. Asher told me to get ready and meet him outside by the lake. I have no idea what he's got in mind, but he seemed beyond thrilled when he gave me those instructions.

I take a quick shower and slip into a pair of comfortable jeans and a burgundy sweat-shirt with the batman logo on the front, drying my wet hair as I feel the mate bond curl with impatience.

I roll my eyes. Asher really wasn't patient when it came to me getting ready. Well, he'll just have to get-

My insides flutter at the thought. What had he done to me? How had he made me feel so sure about spending my life with one person?

'He hasn't done anything', I realise. He's just... him.

When my hair is kind of still wet but satisfactory enough, I slip on a pair of combat boots and grab my jacket hanging by the door. My boots echo loudly as I walk down the hall and take the stairs down.

Asher is standing down in the middle of the room, looking casual with his hands in his pockets and staring at me with pure... love?

More like admiration, right?

Nervousness builds up inside of me as I come to a stop in front of him and he takes my hand in his, tugging me towards the door with a confident smile.

Oh god... he's so adorable when he smiles.

"Where are we going?"

-Shh." He replies without looking back, and I frown.

Okay then.

He opens the door and I follow through, gritting my teeth as the first gust of ice-cold nighttime air hits me. Although his back is to me, Asher must sense my discomfort, because he squeezes my hand and a wave of heat warms me up from the inside at the connection between us.

The moon hangs low and promising in the inky sky, and light swirls of snowflakes resume their descent in rhythmic patterns. It's a big pure crystal ball, looking at us from above, judging, scheming, planning. It's nearly full, or it will be in a few weeks...

I gulp at the thought. Emma's words from what seems like ages ago replay in my mind.

The full moon makes them... primal.

Asher turns to me with a raised eyebrow and I shrug, trying to replace my nervousness with casualty, even though my heart is a palpitating mess inside my chest.

"This is taking too long..." I hear Asher mutter lowly, as we barely step foot into the vast field and I begin to run my free hand over the tall, swaying grass.

"Huh?" I question, raising my attention from nature's beauty to Asher, who's stopped walking. I see his claws elongating and his back ripple as he strains against the transformation that begins to overpower him. When he turns to face me, it's his beast face that he wears. Gleaming golden eyes stalk me as he approaches. In an instant he's got me in his arms, carrying me further into the field.

"Asher! You better not start running! I nearly threw up last time! Listen, we can talk about this... But if you start running, I swear I will cut your-"