Part 7

"I sincerely hope she makes you happy."

Lauren nodded her head as she listened to Maia talk about the science project they were doing together. She already had an idea on what to do but wanted to be polite and let the other girl share her own plans.

"Or we can do the volcano thing!" Maia shared excitedly with her Australian accent. The way her eyes brightened up like puppy and her cheeks so round all Lauren wanted to do was pinch them. Maia was cute.

"Volcanoes? Like the ones with baking powder..." The volleyball player scrunched her nose and shook her head lightly in disagreement.

"C'mon. You have to admit, it's like the best idea we've got."

"I have one."

"Well please do share with the class, Ms. Jauregui." Maia teased.

"Natural Selection." Lauren said proudly, puffing her chest out with pride.

"Darwin's theory...?" The other girl asked hesitantly, the topic so far beyond their studies. "You do understand that you and I are juniors in high school right."

"Survival of the fittest. The best of the best wins." The green-eyed girl stated. "No one will think of it. It'll be unique."

"Yeah because everyone in their right minds would want to pick a topic that we covered in class!" Maia chuckled. "You are so nerdy!"

"C'mon, Mi. I like to research. Plus this stuff really interests me and if that makes me a nerd the so be it." Lauren begged, sticking out the bottom of her lip and putting her hands together. "Puh puh please."

"Fine!" The soccer player gave in. She couldn't resist Lauren's pout. "You win, okay. We're doing your stupid 'Survival of the Fittest'. Ugh, I hate Biology."

Lauren smiled widely at Maia's response. "Don't worry by the end of this project, you'll love it." She pulled the girl in a tight hug as she mumbled, "Thank you. Thank you."

"You're killing me, Lo. I hope you know I'm doing this for you."

"And to that I thank you." The pale girl was the first to break the hug, her smile still evident after the small embrace. She shifted her gaze briefly to the side and saw Camila with her head thrown back, laughing at something Dinah was saying. She didn't think it was possible but her smile grew wider and her heart beat faster.

"Lo, you listening?" Maia knitted her eyebrows together at the dazed girl. She snapped her fingers in front of Lauren before turning her head to look at what she was staring at. Camila. "Of course."

The soccer player had nothing against Camila. Whenever they crossed paths, the girl was always nice to her and had the best intentions. It was just that, Lauren was so smitten for the Latina that she never really gave anyone else a chance.

"Lauren!" Maia said a little louder, snapping the outside hitter from her trance. Lauren focused back to the brunette in front of her.

"Huh. I'm listening." She cleared her throat, before glancing back to look at Camila. Maia noticed the flicker of Lauren's green orbs and gave up.

"Go." The brunette sighed.

"What?" Lauren frowned.

"To Camila. I know you've been staring at her." Maia stared at Lauren knowingly. "Go ahead. I'll just text you later tonight."