Part 9

"When you stop chasing, they start noticing."

"Let go of me." Ariana hissed as she yanked her hand out of Lauren's grip. She looked into the dark green orbs in fury.

"You and I need to have a talk." The green-eyed girl spat. She had dragged the petite brunette from her locker to an excluded area in the school.

"About what! Camila broke up with me a week ago. It's past news!" The cheerleader scoffed. "Besides, aren't you supposed to be happy? You and her can finally get together."

"It's not about me! It's about Camila." Lauren countered. "And I'm only confronting you about it now because I didn't trust myself around you, alone, the last couple of days. I didn't know if I could restrain myself. You really screwed up, Ariana. You hurt her and I wanted to hurt you. Badly."

The girl only rolled her eyes and huffed in annoyance. "I'm not scared of you, Jauregui. I've been with Camila long enough to know that you are nothing but a coward." She mocked.

Lauren clenched her fist and tried to even her breathing. "Don't you dare call me that!"

"It's true!" Ariana retorted. "You are a fucking coward, Lauren. You claim you 'love' Camila yet you just stand there and let someone else make her happy. You didn't do anything to win her over those four years you've known her. And now... Now that there's nothing holding you back, you go off with some soccer player!"

"I didn't do anything because I respected her relationship with you! She was happy so I let her!" Lauren yelled. "And leave Maia the fuck out of this."

"You blew it, Lauren." The brunette chuckled ominously. "You had a chance to scoop the broken hearted Camila and yet you turned the other way."

The volleyball player took a sharp inhale and glared at Ariana. "You are fucking twisted, you know that!"

"Oh honey, sometimes you have to play dirty to get the prize."

Something in Lauren snapped causing her to punch the locker next to Ariana's head. A small dent formed around her fist. The cheerleader shut her eyes and winced at the sound of the fist colliding with the thin metal.

"You didn't deserve Camila." She bowed her head as gritted through her teeth. "She's too good for you."

A silence filled tension surrounded the space. Lauren held her hand where it was as she tried to regain control over her emotions while the other girl's breath quivered.

"I knew from the moment she met you, I lost her." Ariana croaked breaking the silence. "I tried to win her back all throughout freshman year. I did. But all she could talk about was you. I mean how can I compete. In her eyes you were perfect. "

The cheerleader felt a tear escaped her eye.

"I tried, Lauren. But at some point I had to accept the fact that I had lost her. She stayed with me, yes, but it was never the same."

"That doesn't justify your actions, Ariana. You should have broken up with her the moment you knew." Lauren growled lowly.

"I know. I was selfish." Ariana admitted as she wiped off the tears streaming down her face. "I held on to something that wasn't mine to keep."

The dark haired girl pulled back her hand and clutched it tenderly. She couldn't feel the pain due to the amount of adrenaline in her system but she knew it would feel like shit later.