Prologue

Elizabeth's POV

*Five years ago*

I was thirteen years old. Watching my niece and two nephews while my sister-in-law went to pick up my brother. My four other brothers and my brother-in-law were also there, although they were saying nothing, I knew they were glad that my mood had picked up again and I was able to laugh and play with the three youngsters again.

It has been a week since the joint funeral of my blood sister and my father. My eldest brother, Jake, was away with the army and wasn't able to get leave to come home for the funeral. I was always very close with my sister due to the fact that we were the only two girls in the family up until recently when Honor and Jake got married and Peter and Will adopted. 

I didn't leave my room at all at first apart from for the funeral. I knew my brothers were worried about me but I was too sad to talk to any of them about it.

There was a knock at the door and Peter stood up, stretching.

"I've got it." He smiled, kissing Will on the cheek. Antonio slid onto the floor next to me and we started to play with the three younger ones.

"Hey, Elizabeth, can you come in here for a moment, please?" Peter asked, his voice sounding strained. I exchanged a glance with Antonio and he saw the fear in my eyes because he grabbed my hand and squeezed it twice before letting me go. I gave him a small smile back before heading into the hallway.

"What's up Pete?" I asked, trying to be casual. I looked over to the doorway and saw a family with two boys stood there. The youngest boy's face lit up when he saw me and his older brother seemed to hold him back from rushing to hug me.

"Not yet, Niall. She doesn't know, remember?" The older one said quietly to his brother and the younger - Niall - shrunk back with a small, sad nod. 

"Elizabeth," Peter started, "this is your family." I raised a questioning eyebrow at him and he swallowed. "You're adopted." He said quietly. My eyes widened slightly and I gripped onto the table next to me. "This is your family. The Horan's." They waved at me a bit. "I'll... um... go and let you get aquatinted." Peter said quietly, slipping back into the living room.

"Okay." I said under my breath. "Um, would you like a drink or something to eat or something?" I asked, trying to remain calm even though I was freaking out on the inside. 

"Yes, dear, that would be lovely." The woman smiled at me and I smiled shyly back, immediately placing her accent as Irish. I led the four into the kitchen.

"What would you like?" I asked politely as I brought out some food from the cupboards. I placed it in-between the two people who I guess were my brothers, knowing that, as boys, they were bound to be hungry. 

"Tea would be lovely thank you, love." The man said with a kind smile. My hands were shaking as I made the pot. I placed it on the table with five mugs.

"I'm Maura, your mam." The woman said. "This is Bobby, your pa." She gestured to the man and I nodded. 

"I'm Greg, your elder brother." The older boy said with a nod.

"I'm Niall. Your twin." Niall said with a huge smile and I couldnt help but laugh at that.

"I have a twin?" I asked.

"My twin has an English accent!" Niall yelled, sounding very happy about that.

"I HAVE A TWIN AND HE HAS AN IRISH ACCENT!" I yelled, just as loudly. Maura and Bobby rolled their eyes but kept smiling as Niall and I burst out laughing, causing Greg to laugh at the both of us.

"Dear god, there's two of them." Maura said with a fake sigh.