10

10.

Monty looked next on the list, "Perrie and--"

"Didn't do it." She cut her off in monotone. Monty nodded and moved on to the next partners.

"Nikki and Zayn," she said. No one commented or anything; they were all still curious about Zayn and I. I had to deny dating Zayn too many times today. And he didn't exactly help when he kept popping up at random moments, talking to me and putting his arm over my shoulder. It was just so strange to see him talking to me without making fun of me.

I stood up with my paper in my hand. Zayn followed and began reading the paper. "I even memorized it." He put the paper in his pocket and cleared his throat, winking at me. "Nicolette Rebecca Smalls, born on March 21st, 1993 in Montreal. Her favorite color is purple, her favorite sport is swimming, her favorite artist is Van Gogh and she likes tacos. Nikki's best friend is me, of course," he smiled at me and I shook my head, making him laugh, "but she actually said Liam."

He was going to say more but Monty stopped him to say, "A+, sit down, please."

"Huh? I didn't even get to--"

"Sit down." She cut me off. I looked at Zayn and shrugged before going off to my stool. "Most of you did well and some of you did down right awful, and the last group of people didn't do it all. We have a couple minutes left in this class, so I'm just gonna let you go. Get out."

Everyone stood up with their things and began walking out. "Zayn, Nikki. Come here."

Goodness, what did I do now?

I went to her and she said, "I heard that you two started dating?" Monty smiled.

"Oh. Oh no, that's not true." I shook my head. "We're hardly friends."

"Oh? I know I'm older," She was only around twenty five, "and you guys might call me an elder, but I do keep up with the gossip here." She winked and shooed us out.

Zayn was laughing while I was frowning again. "What's the matter, Nikki?" He stopped. "The attention thing again? Sorry, I caused this." I was so used to being an outcast and wasn't prepared for this.

"It's okay. I just don't like being looked at by everyone. I get uncomfortable." I stated, going to my locker. He followed again, "Any reason why you're following me, Zayn?" I giggled.

"Well, what else am I suppose to do? No one is out of class yet." I opened it up using my combination. I felt like he just watched me do it but it didn't matter much. "Any chance you have detention again?"

"Nope, not today."

"Darn. No one has it, and now I'll be stuck with no one to talk to." He told me, leaning on the locker next to mine.

"You have detention? What did you do?" I asked him, taking my bag and slamming my locker shut.

"Remember that guy Josh or something, he kissed Perrie? He tried to start something, so I finished it." Zayn shrugged. Gosh, I hope he doesn't try to finish something with me any time soon because this past week has been my best week in a while. I barely got any beatings too. "Don't worry, I had a reason to this time. It wasn't stupid with no reason like your old beatings."

"Got it. Are we working on the project today because we still need to type the paper. Or tomorrow?" I asked.

He moaned, "I forgot about that. I'm hanging with Josh, Niall, and Louis today. We can do it over FaceTime? Or I can skip detention?"

"I'll just do it alone, it's fine." I shrugged and began walking away. Believe me, this wasn't the first time I had to work on a project alone in a group project. He did a lot already, at least. When I worked on a Spanish project with Eleanor last year, she didn't even discuss anything with me. We got an A.