16

16.

I threw a big jar of Nutella in the cart with a frown on my face. I shoved the cart down the aisle to find peanut butter with Liam by my side. "I'll get it. You go find the ice cream." Liam told me and I nodded, walking away.

I moved on to the next aisle that had the frozen foods and desserts. I picked out Peanut Butter Chocolate, Mint Chocolate Chip, Rocky Road, and Vanilla ice cream before stacking them in my arms. I sniffled and walked back to Liam before dropping them in at once. "Are we done?" I questioned quietly, folding my arms across my chest.

"No, not yet. Almost though." Liam told me, grabbing my hand in his warm one. I was wearing oversized sweatpants that I had to roll up from Victorias Secret and a random tee shirt while my eyes and nose were red. I didn't bother covering it up but I kept my hair down. Yes, I look like I just came back from the dead but I honestly don't care, I just want Mike back.

I sighed and leaned into Liam's side. Liam picked up the cheese and I got the milk before we turned the cart again so we could get popcorn. "We just need to get more tea and I think that should be it." he told me.

I nodded and we walked until we found the tea aisle. Finally, we were finished and the man at the counter looked at me weirdly. I ignored him and I grabbed the bags while I handed the money to Liam.

"Are you going to school tomorrow?" Liam questioned and I shrugged. It's been one full day since the news about Mike and I skipped school today.

"I dunno..." I answered. When we drove back to my house, I saw a car outside. I recognized the license plate. "Oh, heavens no." I whined, stomping my foot. I picked up some bags and walked inside.

I opened the front door and their bags were by the stairs. I saw them in the kitchen, neither speaking or moving, "Nikki!"

"Father...!" I replied, faking my happiness. As I walked in, I turned and frowned at Li. They told me that they were coming but I didn't think so soon. "Hey, mom!" I shouted, walking over to give them hugs. Let me tell you, it was super awkward. I haven't seen them in three weeks and they weren't supposed to be back until like April.

"Nikki. Hello."

Wow, calm down mom, you'll wake the neighbors.

"Liam, my boy!" My dad shook hands with him. Both of them were obviously upset about Mike but did a well job of hiding it. Both of then were either really good at hiding their emotions or they really didn't care. He hugged my mom too.

"Got some groceries, I see." Mom muttered, standing up, walking up the stairs. 'Kay cool, just leave when I enter. It's a great thing to do to your child that you haven't seen for weeks.

"...Yup!" I yelled so she could hear me but she doesn't care. I turned to my father, "Uh..."

"She's really upset about... well, you know." he mumbled and I nodded.

"So... Liam and I are gonna go upstairs, now. Y'know, homework purposes and stuff..." I said to him, already on the stairs. Liam was behind me.

"Open door."

Why does he think Liam and I are gonna do stuff like that in my bedroom? He's my best friend and that's absolutely weird. And disgusting. I nearly asked him why but that won't do anything, "Okay." I sighed, continuing walking up the stairs. I entered my room and made sure to leave the door open.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, I just--I just wasn't expecting them to be here so soon. I thought they'd come on Friday and leave on Sunday." I whispered so neither of them could hear me. Now everything got awkward because I have to go through this week with them. "Don't even have any homework." I laid back on my bed and closed my eyes.

"Hey, cheer up. They're only here for a week, how bad could this be?"

* * *

Liam spoke too soon. Only hours after I had realized that they were here, Liam was needed at home with his family so I was left alone with them. I tried making the excuse that I was tired but they bounced it right back at me saying, "then you should've went to bed earlier." I have to stay with them in the family room to discuss the funeral.

"Which casket do you think we should get?" Mom questioned.

"Whatever's the cheapest.."

The cheapest? Since when has money stopped them from getting what they want? They obviously don't mind flaunting around their wealthiness with this unnecessary three story house and beautiful landscaping. I kept my mouth shut with my feet on the coffee table. I had a headache but I can't even go upstairs to relax. "What color do you think?" Dad turned to me, trying to include me.

"His favorite color was red, so I think we should get a red one." Mom butted in.

"Blue. His favorite color was blue." I corrected, but they were already too busy discussing more. I sighed and leaned back into the chair.

"I'm sorry," my mom turned to me, "Is there a problem?" She asked, noticing my attitude.

"No, it's just--it's just his favorite color is blue and I am tired." I responded. Mom is usually bipolar towards everyone and it pisses me off. She had her arms folded across her chest. Great, now she's pissed off. "Sorry." I muttered, closing my mouth and deciding that I shouldn't even open it for the rest of the night.

"Have a better attitude. Work on it." My dad stated with a stern face. I nodded and they continued discussing.

I ended up falling asleep on the couch with no alarm, making me nearly late for school. I wasn't going to go but now that my parents are here, I'm reconsidering. I put on some jeans and a hoodie that belonged to Mike that I stole from him. I looked like crap and my hair was in a bun. Liam said Danielle was picking him up today so I just went to school.

"Are you okay?" Zayn was waiting for me outside and I nodded. "Okay," he gave me a hug and this time, I didn't even care who was watching. I just really needed and wanted a hug. "Just remember that I'm here for you, okay?" he kissed my forehead and I nodded.

I don't know how long we were standing there but it was time for class. I have math with Liam. He was sitting in our usual seat and gave me a big smile. "Hey, Li." My voice didn't sound like me, a lot less Nikki-like.

"Good to see you here." Liam replied.

••••••

THIS TOOK LIKE THREE WHOLE YEARS TO WRITE AND IT SUCKS LOL

WELL THANK YOU ALL FOR 600+ READS AND I CANT BELIEVE IM PASSED HALF A THOUSAND OMG WHEN/IF I GET 1000 READS I WILL DO SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR ALL OF YOU IDK WHAT IT IS YET BUT I PROMISE I WILL JUST REMIND ME

I FEEL LIKE I JUST WON A GRAMMY OH GOSH

XOXOXOXOXOOX <334555

thanks agaaaain