47

47.

"Do you want to see a picture of the one in the gallery?" I asked Liam, showing him my phone screen. The two of us never visited my painting together like we said we would. We had to catch up with each other.

"Yeah, show me." he leaned in. "It's amazing, Nick. I knew you'd get in." Liam seemed very bummed out for a person that claimed to be happy. He wasn't joking around with me like we usually did. That was probably for the better, though, since laughing would definitely hurt.

"Okay, Liam, what's going on? You look very upset right now but you should be happy because were hanging out again." I stated, leaning back on my bed. He just shrugged a little. "If you don't tell me, I'll take this glass of water and pour it down your pants."

He cracked a brief smile towards me before he got serious again. "You called me," Liam started and paused before taking a deep breath, "before the incident at around three ten. We found you at around three thirty." He looked at me. It was just me and him in my hospital room, still recovering a bit before they'd allow me out of here. We all decided that personal time with Liam was needed so they left us alone. "Did you call me to...get me to try and talk you out of it?" his voice was quavering. I knew exactly what was coming.

I nodded, "I did. I knew that you and Mike were the only people that could easily talk me out of doing something stupid and actually have me believe what you say most of the time. You've done it plenty of times before." I stated, shifting my position towards him, hurting my ribs in the process. I made a weird grunt sound and reached for his hand. I could tell that on his face, he was beating himself up about it on the inside. He was clearly upset about this. "Don't even give me a huge speech about how you blame yourself for this entire incident with the car. Don't. I did this to myself. I love you and always will. That's all that matters, okay, babe?"

He was crying now. "I could've prevented this from happening. You wouldn't be in so much pain if I didn't stupidly ignore your call. I should've known what it was about - it was three o'clock in the morning. Gosh, I'm an idiot."

I motioned for him to come closer to me and he stood up from the chair that he was sitting in. I opened my arms and he hesitated, knowing that a hug would crush me. "Give me a freaking hug, you dummy. I want a nice, Payne-ful hug. Get it." I grinned, bearing a little more pain for a few seconds for him. "This accident led to me becoming closer to my former enemies, my parents, it brought me back together with a man I love, and you, Li. I am perfectly fine with how everything turned out. You not answering the phone had a better outcome than if you did." If he had answered the phone, Liam and I would've become friends again. I probably wouldn't have even given Zayn a second glance, I would have been bullied until the rest of high school, and my parents would have never apologized to me. The accident just made everyone come to their senses.

"Yeah, at least something amazing came out of this. Nick, I'm really sorry. I called you horrible things and I treated you terribly. I did see you go into the bathroom, crying heavily last week before you did all this after school. I should have checked up on you. I just hope we can become even closer again soon. I know you said that this makes everything change and breaks a little of your trust for me, and it does." Liam nodded. "Absolutely. I love you so, so, so much. I just want things between us to be better."

"And we're getting there. Especially since you bought me those chocolates - they were delicious." I giggled, kissing him on the cheek. "September 26th 2006, forever and always." Liam kissed my cheek before sitting in his chair again.

My hair was up in a messy bun that Liam did since it hurt to move my arms and I wore the light blue slippers on my feet that they gave me. I was still in my hospital gown that made me very cold and there were thick bandages wrapped around my entire body basically. It was just very hard to move at this point. They told me that it would be around two months until I would be able to move around like I used to.