32

32.

"One month, huh?" Liam asked me over FaceTime. I nodded rapidly, excited for it. "To be honest, Nick, I didn't think it would last." he started clapping. "I'm happy for you."

"Thank you, Li! I would've never guessed that I would be dating Zayn in a billion years." I shook my head. "I'm happy for you and your relationship too. I knew it would last this long. You and Danielle are like perfect together."

Liam grinned at me. "So what are you and Zayn doing tomorrow besides kissing for three hours straight?" he joked. Well, he probably wasn't joking because it was probably true.

"Probably just gonna chill at his house. I don't know." I shrugged. "I don't think we're the type of couple to go above and beyond for this kind of thing, since it's still a short amount of time." I felt like I've been with Zayn for months now, but it's been like thirty days. I can't believe it.

"Yeah, you--"

Both of us went silent when we heard loud talking downstairs, the man sounding Italian. Then there was a crash. Alarmed, I grabbed my earphones, locked my door quietly, and hid in my walk in closet. "Call the police right now and stay here."

"I don't know who it is yet. What if it's just Zayn and I call the police on him?" I asked.

"Wouldn't Zayn be in your room at this point, calling your name instead of causing crashes downstairs?" Liam said and I nodded. "Stop what you're thinking--"

"I'm going to go check." I whispered, looking around for a weapon. I picked up an old curtain rod thing before standing up as Liam objected loudly. I looked down at my laptop before saying, "I love you Liam." I kissed the camera and smiled.

"Nikki, stop!"

I hung up on him before slowly opening my door. There wasn't much talking anymore, just rummaging and loud noises. I took a couple of steps down the stairs and peeked my head over the railing. The man had short hair and was wearing sweats and a t-shirt, but I could only see from the back. There was a woman laying on the counter, looking dead. I gasped silently as he pulled out a knife.

Okay, running back to my room now.

I turned around and my curtain rod hit the railing on my stairs. I froze in my place. "Nikki?"

I furrowed my eyebrows before walking down the stairs, still holding the rod in my hands. "Dad?" He was holding a knife before he sliced a piece of cake for himself, the one that Zayn and I made on Monday.

My mom lifted her head up. "Sweetie!" she looked horrible. And she smelled. Like an infant goat. "Honey, it's been so long!" she shouted as she tripped her way over to me, laughing and hugging me.

"Not compared to how long you usually leave me here. Why are you back so early?" I questioned, backing up and tossing my curtain rod aside.

"What we were working on was finished a little earlier than we expected." dad told me, pulling mom back. She was dancing.

"Why is she drunk?"

"Why am I drunk?" she asked.

I looked at the two of them and went back upstairs without another word since neither of them would give me an answer. I called Liam again over FaceTime and he looked so happy to see me. "Oh my goodness! I'm so happy you're alive and safe! What happened?!"

"It's my parents. They're home." I sighed.

He looked confused. "I thought they'd be gone until at least May."

"So did I."

"What happened?"

"Whatever they were working on was finished early so they just came back." I told him. I don't like when they're back. Life is just so much harder when they're back.