chapter 2

Lila's pov

With my back to the bathroom door and this massive biker between me and the exit I felt trapped. I nealy jumped out of my skin when he snapped at my explanation of who I am. And if I didn't know any better I'd say he started to growl at me. Almost like a cornered dog with no where to go. I don't know what else he expected. I didn't want to be here under these circumstances any more than he apparently wanted me here. Uncle Paul had told me they had grown close over the years and that he wanted me to keep letting Brantley use the cabin like he had, but he didn't have a chance to explain why before Brantley showed up. I could see his body language soften as he turned his gaze to my uncle. It was like they were having a silent conversation that I wasn't supposed to be a part of. So I took that as my que to step out of the room. "You to obviously have some things to discuss. I'll be out in the hall when you're finished. I need to call and check on my animals at the clinic before it gets to much later." As I made my way past Brantley through the door way he caught me my the wrist. I didn't mean to stare. I know it's rude. But his eyes, they fascinated me from the second he came in the room. You could tell there was so much more to him than what you see on the surface. Almost like an old soul or caged animal for lack of a better phrase. He kept his voice low. "Lila... I'm sorry I snapped at you like that darlin. Lord knows my mama would tan my hide if she were here and heard me speak to a lady like that. I'm just.. I..." He fumbled with the words. "Your in shock and caught off guard just like me." We shared a knowing look before I made my way out. Uncle Paul hadn't told Brantley anything about his illness either.