chapter 5

Brantley's POV: by SPaige0615

I shushed the crying woman softly, swaying her lightly in my arms. Lila was curled up against my chest, simpering and crying, but trying like hell not to. Death was a part of life, nothing we could do to stop it, but little Lila was a wreck. I was still angry over that little shit head Doctor. The second he walked in Lila got nervous. All her walls went up, and she got agitated. I needed to run. To shift. The full moon was getting closer, and the pull was strong. I grit my teeth and let out a low rumble, my voice vibrating up through my chest. Lila sighed and snuggled closer, so I did it again. I sat at one of the picnic tables the hospital had outside and kept up a low rumbling purr, keeping Lila locked in my arms. She seemed to settle then, the more I surrounded her, the calmer she got. Her emotions were all over the place, understandably so. But every human emotion releases some sort of hormone of pheromone. As a wolf, I can sense them, smell them, occasionally taste. The attraction to the little human was bad enough, but the drastic mood swings were killing me. I didn't know whether I wanted to protect her, comfort her, or lay her down and fuck her until she stopped crying. The wolf wanted to do all of those. The man knew that in human society, it wasn't an acceptable plan of action. "C-can we go back in now? I want to say goodbye." Lila looked up at me. I nodded and stood, setting her back on her feet. She quickly grabbed my arm with both of her little hands, locking herself to my side. I chuckled under my breath, and wrapped my arm around her, pulling her more fully against me. She sighed happy as we made our way back to Paul's room. Once there, Lila was a little more prepared. Dr. Shit head was there, and he found his balls again apparently. "Lila, if there's anything you need, anything at all, don't hesitate to call me." His tone made me growl. Without acknowledging him, Lila turned and reached for me. She was done. It was time to take her home. I tugged her up off her feet, and she snuggled happily into my chest. I held her with my left arm, while my right hand signed the official paperwork that a nurse supplied. She told me that she'd call in the next few days for us to pick up Paul's personal belongings and finalize everything. As we turned to leave, Dr. Shit head made a big mistake. He reached out to touch Lila, as if he were going to stroke her back. She shied away from him immediately, whimpering. I growled long and low. "Touch her and I'll rip your heart out with my bare hands boy." I rumbled darkly. His eyes widened. Lila settled and snuggled in closer. He opened his mouth to speak again, but I bared my teeth, let out a little of the wolf, and growled. "Mine." That one word claim had him scrambling back away from us. I continued out of the door, all the way down to the parking lot, and to my bike. Lila didn't protest as I wrapped her up in my jacket and took off for the cabin.