Chapter 8

After I walked away from Tris. I headed to the Hall for breakfast. I didn't really care if I ate alone but I found Eric and his guys anyway. 

I grabbed a plate of food and took a seat in-between Eric and Freddy. My usual seat, whenever I sat with them. If Matisse and Amy joined, then they would sit together between Beast and Ian. There was one day when Ian got very upset because Amy chose to sit next to Freddy instead. It was hilarious. 

Eventually Matisse and Amy found me and took a seat at the table as well. 

I didn't really know whether I should tell Eric he was going to be leader or to leave that to Max. But I couldn't. I had to let him know about Four's turn down of the opportunity. So as I sat down, I turned to Eric, not being able to contain my joy. I had the biggest smile on my face, and probably the most goofiest one as well. As soon as Eric saw my face, he immediately started to smile, just like me. 

"What?" he asked, still smiling. Although I think he already knew what I was going to say. 

I went up really close to him and whispered in his ear, almost laughing for some reason. "You're going to be leader". 

And with that he jumped out of his seat in astonishment. I had never seen him this happy before. He was jumping around like a little child but eventually he stopped because he was making a fool of himself. 

After his little fit, he hugged me and was just lost for words. That is how much this meant to him. But then I began to wonder whether Tris actually was right. Would he put his job and love for power before me? Do I mean that little to him? Will I ever be able to make him this happy? 

I became worried, all of a sudden. I started thinking about the divergent issue as well. I just put myself in a lot of danger. I thought to myself. Being Eric's girlfriend and all at this time, couldn't be too good. I mean, he was going to be leader. And that meant no one could stop him. Whatever he did no one could. And I doubt he would be getting any nicer as leader. He would probably become crueler. 

Obviously Eric noticed the worried expression written all over my face. 

"What's wrong?" he asked sympathetically. 

"Oh, nothing. I'm totally fine" I replied as I shook my head of those worrying thoughts.

"Good" he said as he hugged me again. 

We sat back down and continued to eat breakfast as the others began to question what that was all about. For they didn't know about Four's non-acceptance to the job. 

But before I could tell Eric to let them wait until it would be officially announced, he told them. 

Ian, Beast, Zane, Jack, Gunner, Freddy, Amy and Matisse all began to cheer and clap. 

As we enjoyed the rest of breakfast in happiness I couldn't help but think about Eric, leadership and danger. Tris was right. Eric can easily just kill me, if he finds out I'm divergent. If he got so excited about his new job, then that obviously means he takes this very seriously. So maybe he won't put me before any of his... 

Before I could worry anymore, I heard a beeping coming from Eric jacket pocket. It was his phone. But he couldn't hear it because the boys were being really, really loud. So I got it out for him and handed it to him. He thanked me with a nod of the head and answered it. 

"Eric here" he answered. 

He continued talking on the phone but he wasn't revealing much on his side of the conversation. Could it be Max?