Chapter 27

"Eric..." I uttered his name. Wanting to speak further but I had no idea what else to say. 

He was still standing there, holding the gun at me. We had stayed like this for what seemed like hours. No one talked. All he did was stare at me, holding the gun firmly in his hand. I stared back helplessly, thinking of ways to get out of the reach of death

I looked him in the eyes and I could tell he was tossing up between numerous decisions. 

After a while I realised he wasn't going to let up. But he was giving me time to reason and convince him otherwise. 

I wasn't sobbing anymore, but tears still filled my eyes. I slowly stood up, puffing out my chest as I took a very deep breath, closing my eyes. I had no idea if he would pull the trigger.

He didn't.  

I opened my eyes to find him fixed in the same position he was in before. Only this time I was standing up to him. 

"Eric please..." I began in a soothing yet pleading voice. "You don't have to do this". I almost slapped myself after saying what I had said. It wasn't good enough because he had been brought up to do this... To kill divergent's. 

"No Eliza..." he finally spoke. "I have to do this". He said this as if he was convincing himself he had to. Like he was fighting his inner feelings and emotions. One side of him knew he had to kill me but the other hidden side wouldn't let him do it. He suddenly took a deep breath in, then out. What came out of his mouth next sent my heart shattering into pieces... 

"You're vile and... and... You're a liar!" he almost yelled the last bit. "You've been lying to me this whole time". 

"No Eric. I haven't been lying... I'm still the same person just... different" I explained, not really making sense. 

"No!" he boomed. "I don't even know you anymore". 

I was crushed, internally. My heart ached and my head spun. I was so angry and I was very much hurt. And he could tell. He saw my emotions written all over my face and through my body language. Eric was smart and he was very good at picking up on even the tiniest of things. 

He was still holding the gun up. But he looked unsure. He really was fighting with himself as well as me. 

"I never asked for this!" I screamed back, starting to cry again. "You think I asked to be like this!?" I continued, throwing my arms in the air. 

He brought the gun down to his side. 

"That doesn't make you any less of a threat" Eric spoke, completely emotionlessly. 

I was taken aback, yet again. Here I was, crying, in front of him. Showing my desperation. And he couldn't give any sort of heart felt reply. It was almost like we weren't a team anymore, like we weren't even boyfriend, girlfriend anymore. 

I was fuming. Looking at him like he was the most selfish and rude person I had ever met. 

"You just don't care about anyone do you? The only person you really care about is yourself. Is that why your sister died?" I rambled on, not stopping. He aimed the gun back at me. "You were never there when she needed you and the only time you were there was when she slipped right from your hands" I finished, catching my breath, not really knowing what I had said. 

"Don't go there Eliza" he said with a deep voice, still holding the gun at me. He was warning me as if I was a child. I was still angry. 

"Are you going to let that happen to me?" I asked, the tone of my voice tinted with sarcasm. "Are you just going to blindly kill me right here, right now... Because you don't care?".