Chapter 23

"Leadership is the most important job to this faction. Without leaders Dauntless would be way too wild and uncontrollable. And seeing as we are the most powerful and skilful faction it is very handy having control over all of our people" Eric explained. 

He decided to give me some sort of pep talk. But right now, it seemed to be more of a lecture. 

I nodded along, keeping a straight face. Knowing in a way he was very much right. This job was serious. And only a few days ago I was certain it wasn't for me. But I had eventually been convinced. I was down for it now. 

"Another important factor of being a leader is to keep your eye out for divergent's" Eric continued. Making my heart skip a beat. 

He continued on this rough subject. Making me feel sick with guilt and worry. 

"Divergent's are a major threat to this system and they must be stopped. They are no good and let me assure you, there are many of them. But eventually when you become more experienced you will easily be able to pick them out". 

I swallowed hard. But tried my absolute best to look normal. I nodded along as if the subject of exterminating divergent's was of great importance to me. 

"I was raised with the mindset of killing them. And now I want you to develop that mindset. It's the best way possible. Throwing them into factionless just isn't good enough now. But don't worry, for now I will not make you kill a divergent if you spot them... All you have to do is report them to me and I will do the dirty work, or I'll just get one of the others to" Eric spoke strictly. I could tell this whole dilemma was a big issue for him. And that made my body tremble in fear

He was about to begin to speak again but instead he just eyed me, his eybrows coming closer together as he frowned. 

"Eliza... Is everything ok?" he asked, with warning in his voice. "Do you know someone who is divergent?" he continued, questioningly. 

"Oh..." I was snapped out of my thoughts. "No, no, everything is fine" I lousily covered up. But I knew it wasn't good enough so I thought of asking him a question. To show him I was 'in'. 

"What are the signs I will have to look for?" I asked, in terms someone who is divergent. 

He began to casually explain them. He said things like 'serums not working perfectly on them' and 'standing out personalities'. 

He hadn't suspected a thing of me. Weird... I began to think. He had known me for a while now and yet, he had not been suspicious of me being divergent. 

Maybe our relationship is his blind spot... I pondered. 

My thinking had made me feel better about the whole issue. I mean, if he didn't suspect anything from me now, then in the future he most likely wouldn't. All I had to do was keep quiet about it and act like a normal person. There would be no other way for him to tell if I was one or not. If I was given a serum, I would become the best damn actress in the world and if anyone suspected anything I would convince them otherwise. I am quite persuasive. 

Eric had eventually finished talking and we headed to the Hall. We were going to be meeting the other three leaders and Eric was going to announce my leadership in front of the entire faction. Which I was alright with. I mean, I love attention! 

"Alrighty," Eric began, as we approached the three others. "Guys, this is Eliza" he said, issuing his hand towards me. "Eliza, this is Titus, Ashley and Zachariah".