Chapter 20

Thanks for waiting :) 

We all stood up. The monsters that put us in this whole situation so close by. Only a couple of metres away, to the left of us. I was petrified and angry. 

Jack was up the front, sitting behind a fancy table, that was high up on some sort of pedestal. His name was written on a plaque. Under the title 'JUDGE' it said his name, 'Jack Kang'. I wondered if he was the judge for every Candor trial...

Eric stood to our side of the room, close to Jack, staring out at the crowd. He was being his intimidating self. Already I could tell, just by the look of him, this was going to get heated. 

A middle aged lady dressed in white stood to the other side of the room, facing the crowd, just as Eric was. She had a pointy nose and wispy, wiry hair that was slowly turning grey. She looked almost as scary as Eric. But it was a different kind of scary. She looked like an evil witch. She stood there like she had very dishonourable intentions. 

"Could the Prosecutors please state their full name and present faction" Jack spoke loudly, beginning the trial. He had issued to Elise, at the end of our row. I was guessing we were the 'Prosecutors'. 

As we all stood, we pronounced our names and factions... 

"Elise Nowlen, Amity" 

"Amy Raymond, Dauntless"

"Olivia Steven, Amity"

"Jem Stitcher, Dauntless"

"Matisse Naidu, Dauntless"

Then it was my turn... I took a large breath before I spoke...

"Eliza Turner, Dauntless" 

The last bit came out viciously. I didn't mean to be so vicious though. It just happened... 

"Now, could the Accused please state their full name and faction" Jack said, referring to the guys to our left. They were all still standing, just as we were. 

The one closest to me began...

"Emmanuel Doyle, Candor". He was one of the ones that was shot in the leg. 

"Mike Smith, Candor". He was one of the ones that was shot in the leg, too. 

"Jackson Carter, Candor". He was another one of the ones that was shot. 

"Howard Iracus, Candor". He was one of the ones that was shot also. 

The next guy was the one that scared me the most. He was the one that lead us through the Candor building, he was the one who was held at gun point and he was the one that gave me my drink.

"Matthew Murdoch, Candor"

Jack told us we could be seated, so we sat. We were all staring at them. Staring at Emmanuel, Mike, Jackson, Howard and Matthew.

"They don't even look sorry" Matisse whispered in my ear. I became even angrier.

Jack kept on talking about certain rules of the trial, Eric was assigned to be our 'defence solicitor' and the scary lady was assigned to be their 'defence solicitor'. Her name was Judith.

"Now, it says here" Jack began, reading from a piece of paper, "that Elise, Matisse, Jem, Eliza, Amy and Liv all sustained minor injuries-" he went on before Eric cut him off.