The Middle: Better Get Used To It

~J~
Back at the palace, everybody that lived with me was standing in the foyer waiting for Chanel and I's return. Jefrey opened the door of my car and allowed both of us to get out. Chanel grabbed my hand and looked up at me in sympathy. "I'm sorry, Justin.."

"It's fine." I shrugged and walked into the palace with her. All at once, everyone started bombarding me with questions about the war and what was going to happen to the country. My father pulled me by my arm away from everybody else and into his library room, locking the door behind Chanel and I.

Jazmyn, Jaxon, Jason, my mom, and London all sat around in the chairs while the three of us stood up in front of them. My father spoke up first.

"As all of you know, England has declared war on us, which isn't a good thing at all. They're being inconsiderate towards our people and selfish because we won't engage in their war activities."

"Can they even do this?" Jazmyn snapped and sucked her teeth. My father nodded. "They can do however they please. We aren't apart of England and England isn't apart of us. France wasn't going to get involved in their childish banter but now-" I cut him off.

"Now, we're going to do exactly what we've been doing. Why add fuel to the fire? This is what they want. They want a reaction out of us to bring us down with them. We have nothing to do with why they're in war so I feel as if we should keep it to ourselves."

"Translation, mind our own fucking business." Jason said to my father, who glared at him and then turned around and gave me the same expression. "Are you serious, Justinan? Your country is in great danger and you want to just leave it alone?! What'll happen when they start to fire on us? Hm? Have you forgotten what they're capable of?"

"Have you forgotten what I'm capable of, father?" I asked. He looked to his feet. "Exactly," I said. "France would be in a country of emergency if we enter a war against England. You said it yourself. They've already beaten us once before because it was too many of them and not enough of us so what makes it so different now?"

"He's got a point, Jeremy." My mother said with a sigh. Her voice sounded pained and hoarse like she's been crying. "Justinan is the one who makes the final decisions for this country and I believe he's putting the country's best interest first. We can't afford another war."

My father banged his hand on his desk. "Yes we can! I refuse to allow him to make the same mistakes that I made when I took the throne!"

"That's the difference between you and I, father." I said. "You took the throne because your father trusted in you. I took the throne because mine didn't."

"Oh shit.." London mumbled under her breath and covered her mouth with her hand. Jaxon stood up and got in between our father and me. "Stop it, ok? You two fighting won't solve anything right now. Father, as much as I hate to admit it, Justinan is right about not going to war. We are already a small country as it is. What do you think a war would do to our country?"

"Thank you." I said and threw my hands in the air. "All I'm saying is, if we go to war then that's it. France won't be able to stand on its own anymore and England will take over everything. Is that what you want? Do you want our family's bloodline to be completely erased over some petty war that could've been avoided?"

"Don't question me like I'm your child, Justinan. I know what's best for France, hell, I ruled it for years."

"And look where we are now.." Chanel mumbled under her breath. My father tapped his chin and frowned at her. "Who do you think you are?"

"E-excuse me?" Chanel asked, clearly afraid of him. I wrapped my arm around her waist and picked up the war book from his desk. "I asked who did you think you were? You don't get to speak to me in that tone. You shouldn't even be in here with family. This is family business."