Seeing Stars

Amber shifted to wolf-she was faster that way.She breathed in Petra's scent.

Okay.Let's roll.

Amber bounded out of the doorway.Petra was nowhere to be seen.

Find the scent.

Fear scent lingered in the air.Probably Petra's as she saw that she was with so many people.

"Can you find her?"Jesse asked from behind her.

Of course I can.I just need some time. Amber took off towards the forest. If they follow me I'll just have to be faster than them.They will be loud.I hope Olivia doesn't get to cold.

Petra's scent was clear,obviously she hadn't taken the time to hide it.This wouldn't take much time at all.

And it didn't.

Amber found Petra.Wolf Petra reconised Amber.After all,she had been the one to teach Petra how to survive.

Petra's was not up or down,sort of in the middle.Amber yawned,a calming signal.

You're much more tolerable as a wolf,aren't you? The thought amused her.

Yes.Petra wouldn't kill her as a wolf.Maybe wolf Petra was a friend.

Amber couldn't hear the rest of the Order.Had she run too fast?Maybe.She had lost them.

Petra lay down,her head on her paws.She looked up at Amber with half closed eyes.

Are you my friend? Amber went over to Petra. I know you aren't as a human.

Petra rolled over,showing Amber her belly.Petra thought she wanted dominance.But she didn't.

I think you are. Amber lay down next to her. I hope you are.

Petra gave Amber a wolfy grin.Even if it wasn't a human one,it still made Amber feel good.

Okay...I suppose it's time to change you back now.I hope you don't kill me.

Amber put her paw on Petra's and pulled her into a shift.

As soon as they were both human,Amber leaped back while Petra clutched her head.

"Ow..."Then Petra's eyes met Amber's."You came for me."

Amber nodded.

Will she kill me now?

"Why?"Petra asked.

Amber opened her mouth to answer,but realised she had no answer.

"You could have just left me."Petra narrowed her eyes at Amber."Though you did leave me hanging for a bit there.And you lay down next to me."

"You're a lot more tolerable as a wolf."Amber murmured,avoiding Petra's eyes.

For a moment Amber thought that Petra would snap.

"Okay."

Okay? Okay?

"I can respect that."Petra shrugged.

What? Is my hearing off? Amber was totally confused.

"Let's go,before I start getting cold."Petra looked around.

"This way."Amber started heading in the direction of the shelter.

She didn't try to kill me.

I can't believe it.

But I have to.

Amber looked up.She could see the stars when the tree leaves weren't covering her vision.

Petra seemed to notice.

"What's with the stars?"She asked.She spat the word stars.

"They have never been more comforting.They're always there.Most people come and go,but the stars are there even when I can't see them.When I was alone,sometimes I would hear little voices in my head when I looked at them,telling me it was gonna be okay."Amber laughed."But I was going crazy at that time.The voices have faded since."

They got back to the shelter.It wasn't a cold night,not that it would've mattered for Amber.Petra and Olivia might shift in the cold,but Amber was used to it.So it would have to be colder for her to shift.

"You guys!"Jesse shouted."Are you okay?"

"I can handle myself fine,Jesse."Petra said.

Amber just smiled.

Petra hadn't killed her.

And the stars seemed to shine brighter.

------------------

That was kinda awkward to write.