Chapter XL

"You can lie to anyone else in the world, but you can't lie to yourself."

XL

Old Habits

NATAPOS ANG PARTY nang dumating ang pinsan ni Ellise na si Damian. Sinundo niya si Mia na sobrang lasing, at nag-away pa ang dalawa at nagsisigawan. Pero bago pa man namin masaksihan mag-away ang dalawa, iginiya na ni Damian palabas si Mia.

The memory of Ellise and I kissing is still fresh. We've only kissed for three minutes, yet it has felt like an hour. It'll be a memory I'll treasure. Fortunately, we didn't get caught. As soon as we'd heard the door unlock, both of us immediately pulled away.

Fuck, I'm such a cheater.

Julia catches my eye, and she smiles. Her cheeks are red, obviously drunk. "I had fuuun," she says, her words slurring.

Nalasing din si Ellise, pero inalalayan siya ni Dane diretso sa kwarto niya para matulog.

I suddenly remember that time when Ellise was drunk in Samal. It was the first time I'd slept beside her. I could remember it all clearly. She was drunk and sleepy at that time, and she'd demanded a kiss. I gave her a kiss on the forehead instead, though.

She was sleeping soundly, and I had my arms wrapped around her. I'd realized at that time that we both fit perfectly with each other; her in my arms. I hadn't slept properly, contented of seeing her sleeping face. I was staring at her for a long time, appreciating how beautiful she'd looked.

When I'd passed out at that time, I had a good sleep, all thanks to her. She'd made me feel secure.

***

"We need an architect and an enginner for the new hotel-resort," saad ni Jonathan Zhang—isa sa mga board members ng kumpanya. Isa siyang Chinese na halos ka-edad ko. "This will be our project for this decade."

"Bago natin isipin ang architect at enginner para dito, kailangan pa natin ng pangalan," singit ni Christina Harwell. "Do you have any suggestions?"

"Golden Paradise?" suhestiyon ni Clark Damian Rialmundo—ang pinsan ni Ellise na parte rin sa board. Isa sa mga shareholders ang Rialmundo Corporation.

"Too cliché," Christina disagrees. "The theme is fancy. We need a great theme. Something ordinary, but unique."

"Love," I suggest, which surprises everyone. "Let the hotel-resort be a place where people find themselves love."

"Corny," Damian snorts.

"Well, there are many kinds of love—familial, platonic, and romantic, etc. The ocean can symbolize the infinite possibilities and endless love. The hotel rooms don't necessarily have to be all hearts, but it has to be something that gives us comfort and hope. Let this be a place where people can find solace," paliwanag ko.

"I like that," Christina says approvingly. She beams at me.

"Now, let's talk about who will be the engineer and architect," ani Damian.

"Sir, here are the list of the well-renown engineers and architects here in the Philippines," sabi ng sekretarya kong si Arianne, at binigay sa akin ang files na naglalaman ng listahan ng mga architect at engineers.

I open the file and scan the names. Alphabetical order ang lahat. Nang nakarating ako sa letrang 'C,' nakita ko ang pangalan ni Ellise.

"Why don't we hire my cousin, Ellise Karmine Cortez?" biglang sabi ni Damian. Tumingin siya sa direksyon ko. He gives me an amused look, smirking lopsidedly. "She's good, plus, she and Mr. Ferrero have history together."