Chapter LV

(A/N: This is the final chapter. Salamat sa mga nakaabot dito!)

Warning: SPG

"Tell him yes. Even if you are dying of fear, even if you are sorry later, because whatever you do, you will be sorry all the rest of your life if you say no." 
― Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

LV

Yes

I WAKE UP WITH A heavy heart. The only thing I've only thought of first thing in the morning is my daughter's death.

All my lies has finally caught up with me. If I hadn't lied to Ellise, she wouldn't have left. If she wouldn't have left, she wouldn't have to go through all those shits she'd gone through.

Damn it.

There are many what-ifs in my mind right now.

What if I hadn't lied to Ellise?? What if I'd told her the truth? What if I was able to prevent her from going to the US three years ago? What if I didn't let her go at that time?

I really need to shake these thoughts off my head. I'm slowly killing myself overthinking.

They say that women overthink a lot, but that applies for us men also.

I'm grieving. Grieving for the child I've lost; grieving for those three years I've wasted; grieving for my lies and mistakes.

I have responsibilities and duties to attend to. I know that I have to get my ass up and get ready for work. But damn, I feel so numb. So fucking numb.

In the end, I've decided to skip work and just drown myself in grief the whole morning.

***

3 o'clock in the afternoon, I return to my penthouse. Hopefully, Ellise isn't there anymore. Ayoko muna siyang makita ngayon.

I'm a fucked-up mess.

I don't want her to see how fucked-up I am. I don't want her to see how vulnerable I am.

Pagpasok ko sa lobby, binati ako ng babae sa reception area.

"Good afternoon sir," maligaya niyang bati. "Meron po palang ipinapabigay si Miss Ellise sa inyo," she informs.

I look at her questioningly. "Ano 'yon?"

"It's a worn-out pink box sir," she answers. "She dropped it inside your place."

I give her my thanks, walk towards the elevator and step inside the lift.

Pagkapasok ko sa loob ng penthouse, nakita ko ang pink box na nakalapag sa sahig sa may couch. May note na nakadikit doon.

I'm so sorry for hiding everything from you. I can't explain everything to you through words. It hurts me to tell you my reasons.

Everything you need to know is inside the box.

— E

Huminga ako ng malalim at dahan-dahan na binuksan ang box. Iniangat ko ang takip nito.

Una kong nakita ang black and white na litrato sa itaas. Hinawakan ko ang 'yon at marahang hinaplos.

Our baby girl.