Chapter XLVII

Warning: SPG

"Making love, she'd always believed, was more than simply a pleasurable act between two people. It encompassed all that a couple was supposed to share: trust & commitment, hopes & dreams, a promise to make it through whatever the future might bring. The greater the love; the greater the tragedy when it is over." 
― Nicholas Sparks

XLVII

Babawi

PAGDILAT NG MATA KO, BUMUNGAD sa akin ang puti na dingding. Agad akong napabangon, at alistong inilibot ang tingin ko. Scanning the place, I realize that I'm in a hospital.

"Thank God you're awake!" I hear a familiar voice exclaim in relief.

"Ma."

Tumayo siya mula sa sofa at niyakap ako. Napangiwi ako. Masaki tang likuran ko. Agad siyang bumitaw sa yakap at nag-aalala akong tinignan. "What the hell, Sage! Pinag-alala mo ako!" sigaw niya. "I can't believe that you've done something so stupid. Business management ang kinuha mong kurso, hindi criminology!" Nagismula siya sa kanyang sermon, at wala akong choice kundi makinig nalang.

Alam ko naman na nag-aalala talaga siya sa'kin. "I'm sorry Ma," I murmur apologetically. "It's just that . . . the girl I love was in danger, and I was desperate to get her back, not caring about the risk."

"How romantic, but I'm still not pleased with the idea of you putting yourself in danger!" she exclaims. "You'd given me a heart attack, Sage. Please be aware that I don't want to lose a son. Ayokong ako ang maglagay ng anak ko sa hukay."

When I was younger, my Mom had hated me. Ako ang nagpapaalala sa kanya sa anak niyang nawala, at sa kasalanan ni Daddy at ng tunay kong ina. But as I grew up, she started to accept me and acknowledge me as her own son. She got over her hatred. "I'm sorry," pag-uulit ko.

Napabuntong-hininga siya. "Is she Ellise Cortez?"

Tumango ako. "How is she, Ma? Have you heard anything from her?"

"She came here yesterday."

"How long was I unconscious?"

"Three days," sagot niya. "You got shot in the upper shoulder, but the wound wasn't fatal. You were unconscious for a long time because of fatigue. The doctor said that it was best to give you some time to rest, so we didn't wake you up."

"How's Elliot Cortez?"

"He got shot in the arm, but he's fine," she answers. "He got admitted here, but he was discharged yesterday."

I sigh in relief. Hindi ko alam anong gagawin ko kung sakaling may mangyaring masama kay Elliot.

"I want to see Ellise, Ma."

"I would blame her and hate her if something worse happened to you," she says, looking at me solemnly. "Does she make you happy, anak?" seryoso nitong tanong.

"Yes. So much."

"If that's the case, then I forgive her." Ngumiti siya.

Binisita ako ni Julia. Hindi ko siya inaasahan na pumunta dito.

"Wow, mas malala pa yan sa suntok na binigay ko," biro niya at marahang tumawa.

Nginitian ko siya. "Some people are worth dying for."

"And she's one of those people?" She smiles sadly at me.

I nod. "I'll get her back."

"You better make sure that my letting go is worth it," she says, looking me in the eye determinedly.