Chapter LIII

"Every person has at least one secret that would break your heart."

LIII

Picture

TINITIGAN KO ANG panting sa dingding ng apartment ni Ellise. She's painted this one back when we were separated. Dane had bought this painting, but when the police raided his place, she'd gotten it back.

"Fields of Sage," says the title.

The painting is composed of different shades of green. A field of sage leaves in tiers. The hue and brightness are refreshing. It's complex but beautiful. Tinitigan ko ng maigi ang painting, and as I look at it longer, I see pair of eyes.

My eyes.

They're exactly mine. Deep-set eyes.

Napangiti ako. Somehow, this constantly reminds me that she still loves me even though we're far apart. "You know, you should paint more," I say.

"If you break my heart, I might do it again," she jokes.

"I guess you will never be painting again, then."

Tumayo siya at inangkla ang braso niya sa leeg ko. She stands on her tiptoes to kiss me, and I put my hand on the small of her back. Siniil niya ako sa halik, at tinugunan ko naman 'yon. "Korni mo, Ferrero," she says as our lips part.

I grin. "Sa'yo lang naman, Mrs. Ferrero."

"And now I'm your wife?" She arches her brow in challenge. "Wala pa ngang proposal pero Misis na ako?"

"Bakit, kung tatanungin ba kita ngayon, papayag ka?"

For a moment, she tenses. Kinagat niya ang kanyang ibabang labi. "Ewan ko," bulong niya. She looks down, avoiding my gaze.

I place my hand under her chin, gently lifting her face up to meet my eyes. "Di ba diyan din naman tayo patungo?" I ask rhetorically. "Do you see yourself marrying someone else other than me?"

She shakes her head as answer to my last question. "Ikaw lang."

"Ano pa ba ang kailangan kong gawin para mapapayag ka? Ano pa ba ang kailangan kong ibigay?"

"Oras," simple niyang sinagot. "Kailangan ko ng oras."

"Oras? Baka maubusan tayo niyan bago ka pa man maging handa. Paano nalang pag namatay ako bukas? Paano nalang pag dukutin ako ng alien bukas?" pagrarason ko.

"Ask me some other time, Sage."

"Some other time? What do you—"

Hindi niya na ako pinatapos pang magsalita. Madiin niya akong hinalikan. She's always been my weakness; her kiss can make me forget everything. She's capable of driving me crazy. Nang natapos ang halik, kinagat niya ang ibabang labi ko. Nakalimutan ko tuloy bigla kung ano ang sasabihin ko.

"What were you saying again, Sage?"

"Nothing," I answer, my mind blinded with desire for her.

"You know, I'm worried about Catherine," biglang sinabi ni Ellise sa kalagitnaan ng aming tanghalian.

"Why?"

"Well, she looked bad the last time I saw her. It looked like she'd been crying herself to sleep," she says worriedly. "I mean, we had a short talk, but during that time, I knew that she wanted to tell me something, but she's holding herself back."

"I talked with Sydd," I confess. "And I guess they both have a drama going on."

"Wait." Naguguluhan akong tinignan ni Ellise. "All along, Catherine's been in-love with Sydd?"