Chapter Four | Leigh

2 MONTHS AGO

2 MONTHS AGO

"Don't forget to lock the door when you go to your room. And please, Leigh, don't stay up too late. Look at what it's doing to your eyes," Grace said, rolling her eyes. But then there's a knock on the door. "Oh for God's sake. It's past ten pm already." She walked to the door and opened it. A gasp escaped her lips.

         Then I heard his voice.

         "Is Leigh there?"

         I didn't move from where I was sitting. I wanted to know if Grace would let him in.

         "It's past ten. Why are you looking for her?" Grace asked, a bit annoyed. She's past her bedtime. She didn't want to have bags under her eyes. And if she got those the next day, who knew what she'd do to me for keeping her up.

         "I just want to know if breakfast is okay for her tomorrow," he said, careful with his words.

         "Breakfast? She always eats breakfast with me."

          I stood up and headed to the door. She'd probably eat him alive if he didn't leave for the next seconds.

         "Percy. Grace, it's past your bedtime," I told my sister.

          She raised an eyebrow at me. "It is past our bedtime." She turned back to Percy. "I hope you won't do this again. I'll let this slip for tonight." She walked past me and finally went to her room.

          I sighed, smiling a little to Percy. That was just so embarrassing.

          "I didn't know you two have bedtime," he said shyly.

          "Oh, she just implemented that. Our parents..."

           "Yeah, I heard."

           Raising an eyebrow, I asked, "You heard? You just arrived here. Today. How would you know?"

          "Well, you're interesting. What can I possibly do but to find out something about you. Anyway," he shoved his hands in his pockets, "I came here to, you know, ask you for breakfast tomorrow? If you're allowed to, of course."

          I suppressed a laugh. He was a cutie.

          "I would love to but Grace, she's... we always do things together. We only have each other and I can't just leave her with someone," I smiled a little, "We just met."

           He chuckled, throwing his head back. He pursed his lips. "What about lunch?" I shook my head. "No?" He winced. "I wondered how I can get you out of this house without inviting your sister as well."

           "That is not nice," I told him but I was smiling.

          "Think about it, Leigh. I'm Percy Merlott. Seventeen. I just transferred here at Boston. And I like you at first sight. I hope we can hang out sometimes."

           I was swooned. It was rare for a guy to come knocking at my door and tell me that he likes me. For once, I felt I was myself. I didn't feel obligated to be with Grace this time. I wanted to act on my own, without the need to ask for my sister's permission. I wanted to be fearless this time.

           He smiled one last time before he turned his way back to his house. My voice was caught in my throat. I should call out to him and tell him I would love to but I couldn't seem to do it. Not at this moment, I guess. Maybe I'd have another time. Hopefully it's not late.

                                                                         ░ ▒ ░

It was pouring hard outside for a summer. I was planning on going to the museum today but decided to cancel it when the rain didn't stop. Grace was in her room, chatting up with some of her friends. She didn't like rain that much. And her plans were cancelled as well.

          The house phone rang so I went to get it. Upon hearing the voice on the other line, the supposedly down mood was lifted off of me.

          "I wonder what we can do about the rain," he said.

          "Percy," I said.

          "You know what? I like you saying my name. Wanna go out?"

          "It's raining," I chuckled out the words.

          "Dance in the rain with me." It's not a question. It's a statement. A couple of minutes wouldn't harm Grace anyway.

         "Meet me outside." I hang up. I went to my room, changed into something nice, something I could wear in the rain.

          When I got out of my room, I gasped upon seeing Grace walked past my door. She narrowed her eyes at me, looking me over. "Where are you going?" she asked.

         I gulped, touching the ends of my hair from behind me. "Out," I said.

         "It's raining."

         "I can see that."

         "Don't tell me..."

         "Percy's a nice guy and he just wants to get to know me. Us, even. You don't have to be this snappy girl to him." Her jaw tightened. She never liked me talking back at her.

         She turned her back to me. "Don't come running at me when he breaks your heart."

        But I knew to myself she'd still be there for me when that time comes. I tried not to get that in my head. All I wanted was to experience being a normal person for a while. I'd never been this close to anyone. I was always in the house because Grace didn't like me going out. Now that I thought about it, she was always out with her friends while I waited for her to come home.

         I shook my head and avoided being disappointed. It was true; Grace was living her life while I lived my life in her shadow. It was time for me to step out of that and live my own life.

         I went downstairs and managed to step out of the house without having second thoughts. Percy was standing in the middle of the lawn, soaking and wet. A wry smile formed on my lips.

          "I don't want to think that you second guess going out. So instead of knocking on your door, I decided to wait out here for you." He shrugged. "Maybe until the rain stop."

           I started walking towards him. I gasped when cold raindrops wet me faster than the shower. "No second thoughts, that I can assure you," I told him.

           He smiled. Somehow, that smile assured me something. I wouldn't be alone dancing in this rain.    

Paper Doll's chapters were short because I didn't think that making them any longer is necessary

Paper Doll's chapters were short because I didn't think that making them any longer is necessary. The story was in two points of views and I'd like to get into them that's why chapters were shorts. The story would reveal once it progressed, so give this a chance and read on. Thanks! :)