Chapter Seven | Grace

I stared at Leigh's picture that same night Percy told me he liked me

I stared at Leigh's picture that same night Percy told me he liked me. I couldn't do that thing to her. She's my sister. She loved that guy and Percy surely loved her. Even though she's out somewhere, I couldn't just steal her man. That's not who I was. I respected everything my sister had. At least somewhat what she had.

         "Why do you always have to have the best ones?" I asked the picture of her smiling. If the picture could answer me, that would be great. I wanted some answers.

         Tears left my eyes again. This time I cried all to myself. I cried for whatever reason I had. Right now, I wasn't so sure if Leigh was still alive. Two months without any clue as to where she was... I couldn't fathom being alone. I couldn't accept that my sister, twin sister, was probably gone now.

         I heard something that hit my window. I walked towards it and saw Percy about to throw another stone. But he saw me and he smiled. His smile melted my heart and the tears away from my eyes.

         "Oh Grace, my fair maiden. Please. Let down your hair," he said, imitating the classic Rapunzel.

         A small smile came to my lips. "Come up here." He was about to climb through the window. "Through the door!" I shouted to him.

         He shook his head and despite my attempt to stop him, he still went for it.

         "You're crying," he said once he was inside my room. He pulled me in a hug. "I told you, we'll find her."

         I couldn't control my tears any longer. The next batch was heavier. Being in the arms of someone you truly trust was the most comforting thing ever.

         "Shh. Leigh is okay, okay? She's just out there somewhere," he said. That didn't assure me anything. I let tears speak for myself. "Grace, come on now. It's not like she's..." he stopped. We're thinking the same thing.

         "I know she isn't," I said. "I can still feel it in my heart. She's my twin. I know she's still out there. Alive."

        "I'm glad you're still positive. We'll find her for sure."

         We remained silent, in each other's arms. I loved being in his arms. If only I could stay here forever.