Chapter Twenty-Three | Leigh

I went to face myself in the full length mirror again

I went to face myself in the full length mirror again. I opened my eyes wide and took off the gray contact lenses I was wearing for the last two months. I remembered everything now. It was all clear to me.

         I killed my sister.

         I killed Grace.

         I was Leigh all along, just in the face of Grace.

         The papers on the police reports were all true. Grace got a stab at her back. I did that to her. One thing that I wasn't question about was her appearance. I mentioned to them that Leigh or should I say Grace, was a blonde and she had blue eyes. Those were the pictures I scattered in town. But how come when Officer Ryans gave the envelope to me, he didn't suspect anything? Maybe because we're twins. Maybe he figured out that the time she went missing, she was really brunette and gray eyed.

         With my blue orbs staring back at me, I felt like my old self again, only this time, with brunette hair. How I missed my old hair. But bringing back the old hair meant bringing the past. I shouldn't bring the past. What I had right now should be the one revolving in my world. I could be Leigh but in the face of Grace. Or maybe I could be Leigh with Grace's characters I learned from her.

         This was what Grace was scared of. I knew I was sick. Grace knew that that's why she didn't like me to get out of the house and mingled with anyone. We both knew what it would do to myself. We both knew it would do no good. But someone helped me get out of my sister's shadow. If it wasn't for him, I might have been still hiding in Grace's own shadow.

         I learned every Grace's acts. Her spontaneity, her fearlessness, her aggressiveness to get anything she wanted... I learned all those things. Now that I knew even if Percy kissed Grace, he would still be back to me because I was the one he loved.

         But who was I kidding? Would I want to be back in his arms after what he did? What if he do it again? Would I kill another person just so I could be with him? I didn't think it was the nicest thing to do. Right now, I had to find a way to get away from here.

         My sickness was the kind of thing that not a single person would want. Even Grace was afraid of it. Just by hearing it made her cringe. Having a multiple personality disorder was not the kind everyone would experience. I was glad Percy didn't think I was someone else. He fell on my bait. Now I had to get away.

         There was a knock on my door. I ran to it and locked it immediately.

         "Grace, you there?" Percy asked.

          I glared at the door. "I told you I want to be alone. My sister's death is not that easy to deal with. Go home, Percy," I said.

         "I can't sleep. I want to sleep beside you. Whenever I'm beside you, I always have good dreams. Let me sleep beside you again."