Chapter Fifteen | Grace

Once again, I stared at Leigh's photo

Once again, I stared at Leigh's photo. This time, it was flashing on the TV screen. Our local news had been flashing her photos since I posted some of it outside town. Two months was too long for someone to be missing and the police were actually saying that we might not find her already. I never mentioned to them that I was seeing someone around the house because that would mean she was just lurking somewhere. I knew Leigh. And right now, I knew she was in trouble.

           I turned off the TV and went outside for a morning run. I didn't like this kind of activity but it would take my mind off of the case. Well, at least in an hour or so. I just wanted to relax for a bit.

           But then, I spotted something on the porch. It's Leigh's favorite teddy bear. Why was it here outside the house? I looked around again.

           There's no one around. How did it get outside was beyond my imagination.

          When I stepped out of the house, Percy just out from his as well. He waved at me and I waved back with a smile. I tried to forget what happened last night but it wouldn't go that easily. There's still pain in my heart, knowing that if Leigh was back, he'd be with her in a heartbeat.

          If...

          If Leigh came back, that was.

          I hit my head mentally. I shouldn't think of something like that. Leigh was my sister and she's not fine. I had to find her. The shadow that I'd been seeing was probably the one who kidnapped Leigh, and then he's out the side because it's my turn.

          I didn't notice that Percy was already in front of me until he talked, "How are you?"

          I nodded. "Good. I sleep fine." I hit my head again. He wasn't asking how's my sleep. I smiled wryly. "I mean..." I trailed off. I shouldn't explain anymore. "I gotta go." I walked back inside the house. I couldn't face him right now.

          "Wait, Grace," he called softly. I stopped on my tracks but didn't face him. "About last night..."

          "It's fine, Percy," was I said before finally getting in and closing the door behind me.

          I saw the teddy bear again. As my tears fell, I picked it up and threw it with all my might. Why did I even have to be second to Percy's heart? I should've been the first one. I should've made my first impression cooler. But no. Of all people, it had to be Leigh.

          Even though I asked myself why I had to go second to Leigh, I still wanted her back. I still wanted to see her in her room and greet her good morning. She had to come back. What would happen to me if she never came back? I'd be lonely. There was no assurance that Percy would stay longer. He wanted Leigh. He loved Leigh. If he knew that Leigh wouldn't come back, maybe he would stop talking to me. I shouldn't hope he would stay around. For all I knew, he was only staying by my side because he was waiting for Leigh to come back.