Chapter Nine | Grace

No wonder Leigh liked being with Percy all the time

No wonder Leigh liked being with Percy all the time. He made you forget all your worries and made you happy as much as possible. He made me special. But I could still feel Percy holding back. Maybe because he was also hoping Leigh was still alive, and when she came back, he'd be in her arms again. I was just some pastime. I took all of that. After all, this was the only time I could get his attention.

          I was in Leigh's room, sorting through her things. Percy called the police station earlier and asked if there's any progress on my sister's case. Nothing. No one came to the station to report someone who's name was Leigh Washington.

          I touched something beneath her dresser and when I pulled it out, it was a notebook. A diary. I didn't know she had a diary. Why would she need a diary anyway?

          Staring at the locked golden cover of the notebook, I thought, "A diary is where you put your secrets... when you don't want anyone to know them, you write it there." It only meant one thing...

          Leigh was hiding something to me. It may not be that huge of a secret but we promised each other not to keep secrets. She apparently broke it.

         I gently pulled the lock and it surprisingly broke apart. Well, that was easy.

         My heart was hammering inside my chest. Should I turn the cover and read what she'd written? What if I found out something bad? Or worse! What if I read of something about me? Something she didn't want to tell me but was obviously pissed to write it down? I debated for a whole minute before finally deciding to open it. I might find something in there... something that would point out where she was.

                                                                               ░ ▒ ░

Two entries... I'd only read two entries and it looked like I already read one-third of the diary. Her entries were so long. Her first entry was about us living on our own. She said those words to me before. I knew everything she wrote on the first chapter. The death. The adjustment. The mortgage of the house. The stopping of going to school... I knew all that. The second entry was about her favorites, which I could say, I knew all. So should I expect more? Maybe somewhere in the middle there was something that would say why she left.

          So I flipped and read. I flipped every page and read on it fast. It was more like scanning the page then onto the next. I had to see a sign. I was sure she'd write about her leaving. She would do that.

         And then there was it... the sign that I was looking for.

                                                                                     ░ ▒ ░

Percy was trembling. I could see his eyes were getting stressed with the words he's seeing. It was too much for me to read so I let him do the job for it. I was ashamed of the things written in there but I had to let him know.