Chapter Fourteen | Leigh

2 MONTHS AGO

2 MONTHS AGO

Percy's eighteenth birthday was going to be amazing. Her mom and I talked last night while he was in the shower and a surprise to where he was taking me would be held. I was sure he'd be surprised. For one, he was the one who said that it's going to be the two of us only. Second, his dad was going to be there. I made it a point to call his dad who was working in New York. They hadn't seen each other for five months so I think that would be the perfect time.

          I already made him a birthday card sealed with an actual kiss mark from me. I liked the guy and maybe we'd take the emotions in the next level. We hadn't said each other I love you and I think he might say that to me tomorrow.

          I smiled at the thought. I would like that for sure.

         When I got out of my room, I smelled mocha. My brows furrowed. It was only nine in the morning. Grace was not the typical morning person. Her work shift would be later after lunch. So why would she wake up so early? I could tell by the smell that it was almost cooked, the cake I meant.

         Grace saw me descend the staircase. Her smile was teasing. It was irritating for a moment.

         "You're up early," I commented. I followed her in the kitchen and I was indeed right. She was baking. "What did you bake?"

         She smiled again. I was starting to hate that smile. "Tomorrow's Percy's birthday and you'll be out with him so I thought of making him a cake today instead. I'd texted him earlier and he'd be here after school," she said.

          I nodded. "That really smells good," I complimented because it was true. "What time are you up?"

         She thought about it for a moment. "Around five, I guess?"

         Five am... That's the same time Percy used to wake up.

        Then it clicked to me. I didn't mention anything about our plans tomorrow.

         "How did you know I'd be out with him tomorrow? I'm just going to tell you about that later," I asked, curious.

          She smiled the same smile I was irritated on. "He called me. Percy. I sent him a good morning text and mentioned the mocha cake. Then he called me. He just woke up the same time as well. Like fate." She rolled her eyes, like she didn't believe in those. "We talked for like an hour? Or more? Then he was like, oh no. I'm going to be late. He was funny."

          Percy never called me in the morning and talked to me for more than an hour.

          "Well, what else did Percy tell you?" I asked, challenging her. I think she wasn't informed that Percy and I were already a thing.

         She shrugged. "That he can't wait to get home and eat the cake."

         This time, I was the one who smiled to her. "Grace, there's something I have to tell you. I really want to tell this with Percy but maybe you want to know now." Her smile then disappeared. Good, because I'd been waiting for that to disappear. It seemed like my smile was almost just a smirk because she frowned at me.