Chapter Thirty-One | Leigh

1 WEEK AFTER THE HYPNOSIS

I sat by the garden and looked around it. The birds were humming and the trees were singing. Everything in here was calm and cool. Genevieve was dancing with her nurse who was laughing her heart out. She's the friend I started to get close to when I began to talk to the other patients. It helped for me to get better. Having a friend in this place, at first thought, was hard. Considering everyone in here was the same as me. We're all sick. But Genevieve was different. She got to handle all her other personalities—she had five of them inside her. And so she understood very well what I was going through. Only, the difference was, her parents were still alive and still visiting her, checking on her. She didn't have any siblings so when I told her my story, she cringed upon hearing what my other personality did.

          "Leigh!" Genevieve waved a hand to me.

          I waved back at her and smiled. I started with my sketch and drew her as she danced with the birds. Sketching had been another form of my therapy on here. Every stroke of the pencil releases the tension I had inside. Seeing the final sketch on the paper gave me satisfaction and achievement.

          "What's that?" I gasped and accidentally threw the pencil.

          "What was what all about?" I retorted.

          "Oops. Sorry." Thomas sat beside me and peeked through my sketch pad. I covered it with my hand. "No fair."

          "What are you doing here?" I asked.

          "I brought you food. Dr. Jackson said you have a session with him later. Genevieve looks happy."

          "She's always happy," I mentioned to him. My first impression on her was her smiling face. She liked smiling all the time and according to her, it's her therapy. Apparently, all her other personalities were frowners so her smile was her key for them not to get out.

          "You know what, you'll look good with a smile on your face as well," Thomas said so low I almost didn't hear it.

          "I'll try to. You can't rush things."

          "Of course. Here's your sandwich." He handed me my food.

          "How long have you been here, Thomas?"

          He laughed a heartfelt laugh.

          "What's so funny?"

          "Well, you're question is like I'm a patient here."

          "That's not funny if it's the way you interpreted it, isn't it?"

          He cleared his throat. "Sorry. Well, I'm a psychology student actually, then I take nursing as my second course. I took my on-the-job training here with Dr. Jackson as my mentor and then when I graduated, they absorbed me. So, all in all, it's been like five years since I started working on here."