Chapter Eleven | Grace

I couldn't sleep

I couldn't sleep.

          I left Percy a text to let him know that I was going to visit him. He hadn't texted me back but I couldn't wait any longer.

          I slip on my slippers and grabbed my jacket. I put my phone in the pocket and headed out. For a summer night, it was quite cold. I shivered. I felt someone was watching me again. My hair stood on ends. Maybe I'd just wait for Percy's reply.

          Someone said my name. I spun around to find an empty living room. I was just being paranoid. Leigh didn't just disappear. She ran away. I couldn't just think that someone might be out there to get me this time. There was no reason people would hate someone like Leigh. She's the sweetest person ever.

          But what about her diary entry? My thoughts said to me.

          I shoved them at the back of my head. Those were just mere jealousy. She's a girl who thought the guy she liked was being stolen away from her. I didn't steal anything to her. She should have come to me and clear things. I would never do something to hurt my sister.

           But you did something...

           "Stop," I said to no one. I was scaring myself. I started to walk towards Percy's house. It was getting colder and colder until I heard something from behind. I turned around quick and saw nothing. This time, I walked fast. When I got to the door, there's a shadow near the streetlamp in front of my house. A shadow! My hands trembled as I got my phone in my pocket. The wind blew my hair to my face. I tucked it back behind my ear. The shadow was gone. My breathing hitched. I dialed Percy's number right away. But instead of hearing Percy's voice, I heard someone else.

          I stood frozen at the porch, the phone still pressed on my ear.

          "Grace, why?" the voice said. It was a very familiar voice. It was so familiar I wasn't sure if I should be happy hearing her or not. "Why did you do that?"

            I gulped and opened my mouth to say something but she interrupted me.

           "You think you can't get away that easily?"

           Just then, I noticed that the shadow was near at the porch, somewhere on the side of the house. She's there. Leigh was there.

           With much courage, I stepped out of the porch and walked to the side of Percy's house. I wasn't hanging up. If she was there and she intended for me to see her then that's what I was going to do.

          "Leigh..."

          "Grace?" I stopped on my tracks. The voice on the other line wasn't Leigh anymore. But the shadow was still there. My breathe hitch. If Percy was on the line all along then how...

        "P-Percy?"

         "Yeah, where are you now? I'm getting up. I just saw your text."