Say Something

"Yes it has," Elliot replied. His voice was so low and hoarse that they barely heard him. He thought many times about how the moment would be when he saw her again but now that the moment was upon him he didn't know how to react.

Olivia looked at him waiting for him to say something else but when he didn't she continued on business as usual. Even Nick and Lizzie looked at Elliot who seemed to be in a trance looking at her. The moment was beyond awkward for the two by standers because the tension between Olivia and Elliot was palpable. Lizzie nudged her dad lightly in the back.

"Uhh yeah. It's nice to see you again Li—Olivia," he added nervously.

Olivia scoffed, rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to Lizzie.

"Are you sure you are up to meeting with a sketch artist tonight. It's late and you've been through a lot."

"I'm up for it. I promise."

The exchange snapped Elliot out of his trance and put his attention back to his daughter who was being as strong as ever. She was no stranger to loss but he felt bad that she had to deal with this again.

"Okay you guys go back to the station to meet with the sketch artist. Nick if you wouldn't mind meeting them there. I need to stay here and give a statement to the press and make sure everything is being handled."

"You got it boss," Nick said obligingly.

"Liv, you will be back at the station soon right?" Lizzie asked concerned.

"Of course sweetie. An hour tops."

"Ok," she said with a small smile.

Without glancing in Elliot's direction she headed out to the front of the building. Elliot, Lizzie and Nick took the back exit away from the press.

XXXXX

"Is it too cold honey? Do you need me to adjust the air or anything?" Elliot asked while reaching for all of the a/c controls.

"I'm fine Dad. I promise. It's ok."

"You want to tell me everything that happened?"

"If you don't mind..I know I'm going to have to regurgitate this story a million times when I get to the station so I'd rather not have to repeat it. You can watch the interview if you want...I mean if they let you."

"I'm sure they will."

And with that the topic of Olivia was hanging over the car.

"Why didn't you say something to her?"

"To who?"

"Dad," Lizzie passed him an annoyed look.

"What more could I have said?"

"I don't know something like I missed you, I'm sorry for not being in touch, I've been miserable without you, I'm no longer married, I—"

"Ok Ok. I get it. Do you think a crime scene is the time to talk about that stuff? There will be other opportunities. Plus right now my focus is on you."

Lizzie suddenly became sad and the weight of the day was looming over her. He reached his hand around her shoulders and held her to him while keeping his other hand on the wheel.

"Dad?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you promise me something?"

"Anything."

"Promise me that you will say something to her soon."

"Lizzie I—"

"Promise me."