There's a Story

Olivia stayed in bed the rest of the day and spent the entire next day with Noah. She took him to the park, to the zoo and played with him all day. She missed her little boy and prayed that her phone didn't ring with a case while they were together and thankfully it didn't. By the time early evening came, Noah was knocked out and she was left on her couch to think over everything.

Her mind immediately went to her talk with Elliot. She had so many questions that she needed answers to. She picked up her phone to actually make a list of the questions she wanted to ask him when she noticed she had a missed call.

Please don't be work, she mumbled to herself. It was actually Don, or Captain Cragen as she called him for years. Now he was just Don, her surrogate father and friend. She immediately called him back and he picked up on the second ring.

"Olivia.."

"Don, hi. I'm sorry I missed your call I was out with Noah all day."

"I'm glad you got to spend some time with him. I haven't seen my grandson in awhile, would you mind if I paid you guys a visit?"

"I would love it, what day works for you?"

"How about now? I'm right around the corner."

"Oh," Olivia responded a bit taken off guard. "Well he's actually sleeping right now."

"Can I come over and talk to you anyway? It's kind of important," Don said in a way that concerned Olivia.

"Sure. You know you are welcome to come over anytime. I'll see you soon."

He made it to the house within five minutes and was knocking on the door.

"Hey Don come on in," she said as she reached out to hug him.

"Hey Olivia. Little guy is still sleeping?" Don asked looking over all of the toys on the floor.

"Oh yeah we had quite the day. The zoo, the park, played here a bit as you can see from the mess everywhere," Olivia said looking around at the floor as well.

"Well I'll catch him soon."

"Absolutely."

They just stood for a bit and she could tell Don had something on his mind so she decided to help him relax to get it out. She had worked with him long enough to know when something was going on.

"Well have a seat, would you like something to drink?"

"Just water will be fine."

"Ok water coming right up," she said as she headed to the kitchen.

"Congratulations on the Jesse Minor case. That's a big catch Olivia. I'm proud of you."

"Thank you that means a lot. I'm so glad to have that out of the way," she said as she handed him a glass and sat down on the couch with him.

"I hear your former partner was involved too," Don said cautiously watching her reaction.

And there it is, she thought to herself. That's why he wanted to come over. Whether he wanted to or not, Don always ended up in the middle of her and Elliot drama. She could never tell who he thought was more in the wrong or right because he played it like a typical dad. Scolding when he needed to and getting frustrated when it was evident they were covering for each other.

"Yes he was. Lizzie was the star witness so he got involved that way," she said.

"Yeah I know," he said nervously rubbing his hands together.

"So I guess word still travels around cop circles as fast as it ever did."

She was slightly annoyed that her and Elliot were the topic of so many conversations.