Back to the old days at the 1-6

Olivia spent the next few days continuing to interview Sydney. She listened for the slightest detail, anything that would help her find Jonathan and Marshall. There were a few things that Sydney said that she thought may be a lead but it turned out to be nothing.

Sydney's dad was notified that she was found and he and his new wife were staying in New York waiting for her to be released from the hospital. Sydney thought that both of her parents were dead so receiving news that her dad was still alive and that Jonathan didn't kill him like he claimed pushed her morale forward in a positive way. She was starting to become less frightened and there were no more incidents of her panicking and having to be restrained. She looked like she was going to be released soon and based on the conversations that Olivia was having with her doctors and Mr. Greenwood. Olivia knew the second that Sydney was released he would take her back to New Jersey and their access to her would be limited at best. She couldn't say she blamed him. If it were her daughter she would do the same thing but she wasn't and this was a police investigation. She needed all the information she could get from the one survivor they had. Once Sydney was gone there would be no further chance to talk to her and get her statement.

To make matters worse the Chief of D's was all over her once again because of the press involved. Word got out that there was a baby at the scene and the interest in the case renewed. They followed false leads that came in through a tip line and canvassed the streets to no avail. Olivia was beginning to bang her head against the wall. She wanted this case over for personal and professional reasons but she couldn't bear to do anything that would stall or harm Sydney's recovery. She went to the hospital talk to her everyday for an hour or so either before work or on her way home.

On this particular day, Olivia decided to stop by in the morning on her way to the office. "How are you this morning?" she asked her trying to sound especially vibrant. Sometimes she felt Sydney fed off her energy so she always made it a point to sound as encouraging as possible when she first came in despite the negative turn their conversation may take later.

"I'm ok," Sydney answered with a small smile. "Doctors said I can probably go home in a couple of days."

Olivia was torn in her feelings about her release. She knew having her close to the hospital and police would keep her safe and give them easy access to her but seeing the joy on her face at the thought of leaving the hospital made her smile in return. "That's good to hear. I bet you can't wait to be back home."

"Yeah." She spoke in a little voice and bowed her head warily.

"What's wrong? You don't want to go home?" Olivia asked holding her hand that was now free of the thick cast.

"Of course I do," she agreed but her smile didn't reach her eyes. "It's just been a long time since I've been home. I just don't know how it's going to be. It will be weird seeing everyone again."

She understood that fear and she wished she could assure the little girl that people won't stare and treat her like a victim for a long time to come but she knew better. For the first time since she's been rescued Sydney looks like a different person, more confident and assured despite her occasional slips back into being nervous. She looks older than she is no doubt because of what she has endured and she's talking in more complete sentences instead of shorter answers.

"Do you remember your friend's names? I bet they are excited to see you again," Olivia prodded using her patented interview technique of having the victim think of something positive to talk about.

"I remember Ashley Moore. She was my best friend. We did gymnastics together," she said smiling despite herself.

"Wow a gymnast. I had no idea. I wanted to be a gymnast when I was a little girl too. What was your favorite event?"