Chapter Seven

“Malinda, I know things are hard for you.” I say. “But you can’t try to leave Schlutonia. You’re being childish.” My grandfather says. My grandmother just sits there with an incredulous look on her face.

“I know it sounds crazy but it’s something I have to do.” I say.

“Malinda, you are talking about getting yourself into a lot of trouble.” My grandfather says.

“I know. I know what the risk is.” I say.

“So then why would you think about doing this?” My grandfather says. “Who is this boy? Xander. I want to meet him.”

“No. Okay, I wasn’t even supposed to tell you that I was leaving, but the thought of just going… I couldn’t do it. And he can’t know that I told you.” I say.

“Listen, you are in our custody. We are responsible for you. You can’t expect us to just let you do something like this…” My grandfather tells me. My grandmother stands up and begins to search through the cupboard. She fixes herself a cup of chamomile tea.

“Grandfather I’m seventeen. Soon, I’ll be eighteen. And I’ll be an adult, responsible for myself. You have to let me make my own decisions.” I say.

“It could be dangerous out there.” My grandfather says.

“Hey.” My grandmother finally utters a word. It sounds feeble and strained. My grandfather turns to her and so do I. He has gotten that sympathetic look on his face again.

“What is it?” He says quietly.

“Just let her go.” She says. My grandfather looks at her.

“What?” He asks.

“She’s made up her mind. She isn’t going to listen to us. What can we do? Call the Enforcers? Would you really do that to your own granddaughter?”

“No. Of course not.” He says. The Enforcers are officials responsible for ‘keeping the peace’ in Schlutonia. They make sure that everyone is following the rules. The Enforcers can do whatever they want when it comes to enforcing the Schlutonian laws. They can be unconventional and unfair. Their jobs are to keep the peace no matter what it takes. Everyone fears them.

“Malinda can you please go to your room.” Grandfather says softly. I nod and I exit the room, but I don’t go upstairs. I stand out of sight behind a wall and I listen to them talk.

“Don’t look at me that way.” My grandmother says.

“You think we should let her go?” My grandfather sounds incredulous. They speak in hushed tone.

“I was a teenager once. An emotional one, just like her. Telling her that she can’t go will not do anything. She’ll do what she wants. If we tell her no, she’ll just sneak out at some late hour of the night and do what she wants anyway.” My grandmother says.

“Okay, but we can’t simply let her go.” My grandfather says. “We have to at least try to convince her that what she’s doing isn’t a very smart idea, because let’s face it…”

“She’s right. She is seventeen. She’ll be an adult soon.” My grandmother says. “It’s only three weeks after all.”

“Oh come on. You don’t know what could happen. Do you think she’ll actually succeed? In pulling one over on them. In getting past the force field?” My grandfather says.

“I don’t know. Maybe she will.” My grandmother says.

“You can’t seriously believe that.” He says.