Chapter Seven

I am sitting on the bed in the room that Obadiah set me up in. Josh sits down beside me although he has his own room right beside mine. I’m changing Luna’s diapers.

“So how did it go?” Josh asks.

“I told him what I had to tell him,” I mutter.

“And what did he say?” Josh asks.

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Yes. Nothing. I told him and then I walked away,” I say.

“What?” Josh asks, “Why?”

“I don’t know. I figured he might want to get back to his girlfriend,” I respond. Josh turns to face me.

“Oh,” he says, “Oh.”

“Yeah,” I nod, “I don’t even know why I thought he wouldn’t have one. Just wishful thinking I guess.”

“I’m sorry,” Josh says, “I know how much you-”

“Life goes on,” I interrupt him. He nods his head.

“In the mood for rebound sex?” Josh asks. I lift Luna up.

“Hey Josh, here’s an idea… we’re on The Outside. You know what you can do?”

“What?” Josh asks.

“Find someone else to be inappropriate with,” I say. I stand up and begin to walk back and forth, bouncing Luna up and down lightly as I do.

“You’d be okay with that?” Josh asks. I look at him.

“Yeah,” I say, “Why not?”

“I don’t know,” Josh says, “Just…I was just making sure.” There is a knock at the door and I walk over to answer it. There in the doorway stands Xander. He stands with his hands in his pockets. His face is completely composed.

“Is that her?” he asks. I take a breath.

“Yes,” I say quietly, “This is Luna.”

“Luna…” Xander says, “The moon.”

“Yes.”

“It’s pretty.”

“Thanks.”

“Why did you choose that name?” Xander asks.

“Did you come to see her?” I ask, ignoring his question.

“I don’t know,” Xander says.

“You don’t know?”

“I don’t know what’s going on right now. I’m so confused,” he rubs his head.

“What exactly are you confused about?” I ask.

“You show up out of nowhere and you tell me that you had a baby and that it’s mine!” Xander says.

“SHE!” I exclaim, “She’s a she not an it!” Josh stands up.

“I’ll leave you two alone to talk… or yell or whatever,” he says. Josh walks past Xander and out of the door. Xander shifts uncomfortably and looks at Luna.

“She’s tiny,” he comments.

“She was born a couple of days ago,” I say.

“How did you manage getting out of Schlutonia with a newborn baby?” he asks incredulously.

“We were allowed to leave, so we were escorted,” I tell him.

“You were allowed to leave?” he asks, “Did I miss something?” I see a girl peering inside the room from behind him.