seven; bad lies and bitter truth

I walk with Allison, holding my binder to my chest. All day my mind has been swamped with things from the previous night. I've known about werewolves and the supernatural for over a year. My dad and aunt had thought I was ready at the time, but they were wrong.

I will never be ready to kill people. Not just for being different. Sometimes I look at Allison, and realize ignorance really can be bliss. Especially when I can never tell her. She's the one person I tell everything too.

"Where did you go last night?" She asks as we walk down the steps of Beacon Hills High School.

"What?" My eyes snap to hers and I feel them widen.

"Well, I went to ask you something and your room was empty. Where did you go?" I notice that she is completely calm and doesn't suspect anything. Just natural curiosity.

"Um, I went out. Ya know, out on the town." I wince at the words that have just come out of my mouth. Thankfully, and sadly, I spot Scott McCall standing a few feet away from us. And by the look of annoyance on Allison's face, so has she.

"So what happened? You left me at the party.." I sigh at the new distraction and continue to walk away. I avoid contact with Scott and move away to wait for my dad. I look over and see Allison smiling so bright her dimples are on display.

I smile lightly at the pure happiness on her face. Crazy to think a single person can make another so happy so easily. I see my dad's signature black SUV pull up and he climbs out. My small smile falls away as I quickly turn back to Scott. Allison walks towards the car contently as Scott stares at our dad with wide eyes.

I move towards my dad and return his smile, relieved to see there aren't any signs of recognition in his expression. They do an awkward wave and I quickly climb into the car hoping the day ends quickly.

➳  ➳  ➳  ➳ 

I walk slowly and watch as my white converse crunch the colorful leaves underneath them. Inhaling I feel content at the feeling of the crisp air filling my lungs. Nature is a world of its own and I always feel at home in it.

The trees are so tall, they look like they could reach the sky, which itself is bright blue with small puffs of clouds scattered around it.

"What are you doing here?" I turn around quickly hearing his voice. I sigh when I see Derek standing not far away from me.

"You knew, didn't you?" I ask, but he doesn't answer. He doesn't have too. "When you asked me what my name was you already knew. That I was an Argent." My voice doesn't hold any malice or anger, just factuality.

"What do you want?" He ask avoiding the topic completely.

I shake head, now slightly annoyed, "I'm not going to hurt you. Or Scott. I don't exactly agree with the family business." I shrug. The fact that I'm even here is a surprise to me.

"Okay." He grunts, I notice his slight eye roll at my words and doesn't move from his spot. He doesn't believe me.

"Why don't you believe me?" I ask incredulously. I felt my anger slowly rising with just a hint of annoyance.

"Derek Hale. Search it. Or ask one of your new friends. Gossip spreads in a small town, no matter how old. Then you'll know why I don't." He turns and walks away before I can get another word out.

I take a defeated deep breath before walking back to my car.