twenty seven; disbelief and survival

I lean with my back against the cold metal of the lockers. The building that has become so familiar now seems like a stranger.

Scott and Stiles' voice echo around me as reality slowly starts to return. Derek Hale is gone. It doesn't seem real. Minutes ago I was making him sort of smile and calling him a sour wolf.

Derek Hale is gone. He can't be gone.

"Lock it, lock it!" I jump at the sound of Scott's voice breaks me out of my trance. I lean away from the wall, quickly moving towards them and the front doors of the school. I do what I have been taught best to do, hide my feeling away. This is a life or death scenario and there is no time to feel anything.

"Do I look like I have a key?" Stiles sarcastically and nervously yells as we both hold the doors shut.

Scott looks around us trying to find anything to shove between the handles to keep the alpha from getting in, "Grab something!"

"Anything!" Scott yells and I notice Stiles's eyes catch something outside the small windows of the metal doors we are currently leaning against. I look as well and see the metal cutters laying on the sidewalk a few feet away.

He wanted to run out and grab them, which is insane considering there is a gigantic and evil alpha lurking around.

"Stiles, no." I speak for the first time and my voice is heavy and unfamiliar, but neither of them mention it.

Stiles turns back to the both of us and says one word before ripping open the door and running out, "Yes."

"Stiles, no, don't!" Scott yells angrily as he helplessly watches his best friend put himself in danger. I move over and grab my bow, drawing an arrow in place.

I continue to watch Stiles and the areas around him. If the alpha wanted to show his face I could at least distract him with an arrow to the face.

I watch silently as Stiles picks up the metal cutters and stands up completely.

"Run! Stiles! Stiles!" I jump at the sight of the alpha charging at Stiles. I aim and release the arrow. I watch as it lands in the alphas neck and he stops running to rip it out.

Stiles rushes inside as Scott and I slam the doors shut once again. Stiles slams the tool between the handles keeping them closed for now.

Scott stands to look outside the window, "Where is it? Where did it go?" I shrug as I look as well and see no sign of the large werewolf anywhere. "That won't hold, will it?"

Stiles looks down at our poor excuse for a lock, "Probably not."

We all turn around and look down the dark hall behind us. Stiles's flashlight barley lights the way, but at the sound of a deep growl echoes around us, we run.

We all fall into the closest classroom and move to the desk.

Stiles and Scott start to move it, but Stiles stops them, "Stop, stop. The door's not gonna keep it out."

I sigh and shake my head, "Yeah, doubt it. There's no way that is going to keep him out."

Stiles heaves in a nervous breath before turning slightly to Scott, "It's your boss,"

Scott's eyes widen at those words, "What?"

Stiles gives him a incredulous look,"Deaton, the alpha? Your boss."

"I mean, Scott, I could understand why that makes some type of sense," Stiles nods his head agreeing as Scott just gives me wide eyes. "He was in the back of the car, tied up, and then he just disappears? It just doesn't add up."