thirty one; searching for answers

Jackson turns to Stiles quickly, "Call the cops."

Stiles shakes his head and doesn't move to get his cellphone, "No."

I roll my eyes as I flashback to this same conversation that we had not an hour ago.

Jackson's eyes squint in annoyance, "Wh-what do you mean 'No?'"

"I mean no. You wanna hear it in Spanish? Nó," I look over as Stiles says the word with a light accent and a lot of sarcasm, "Look, Derek killed three people, okay? We don't know what he's armed with."

Jackson's eyes widen, "Your dad is armed with an entire sheriff's department! Call him."

Lydia rolls her eyes at the two and takes out her cellphone, "I'm calling." She continues to type on her phone when Stiles moves to stop her.

"No, Lydia, would you just hold on a second-" Jackson moves forward and pushes him away roughly.

I walk over and get between the two, "Hey, douche bag getting all riled up and handsy isn't going to help the situation. Back off,"

He rolls his eyes at me and takes a small step back before Lydia sighs in relief on the phone, "Yes, we're at Beacon Hills High School. We're trapped, and we need you to-but-" She takes the phone away from her ear and looks down at it confused, "She hung up on me."

Allison's eyes widen bewildered, "The police hung up on you?"

Lydia's voice speeds up with fear as their plan to get help backfires, "She said they got a tip warning them that there are gonna be prank calls about a break in at the high school. She said if I called again that they're gonna trace it and have me arrested."

"Okay, then call again!" I begin to worry at the thought of Stiles's dad and the Beacon Hills police coming to rescue us just for them to be torn apart by the alpha.

Stiles shakes his had at their plan, "No, they won't trace a cell and they'll send a car to your house before they send anyone here."

Allison shakes her head and put her hands against her forehead trying to piece together everything happening around her, "What-what is this? Why does Derek wanna kill us? Why is he killing anyone?"

We all grow quiet and I watch as everyone slowly turns to Scott for answers. I keep quiet and refuse to help put the blame for this night on Derek.

Scott looks over at the group and notices them staring, "Why's everyone looking at me?"

"Is he the one that sent her the text?" Lydia asks another question, only leading to Scott getting even more worked up.

"No. I mean, I don't know." He answers and shakes his head trying to figure out the right things to say.

"Is he the one that called the police?" Allison questions, which pushes Scott past his limits as he stressfully answers her, "I don't know!"

I notice her confused eyes turn to hurt and I glare even more at Scott. I know that having everyone chase after you for answers isn't fun, but if I were in their position I know I would be doing the same.

Stiles comes over and pulls Scott back by the shoulders leading him away from the group, "All right, why don't we ease back on the throttle here, yeah?"

They both move away and instead of following I walk towards my sister. Her fearful eyes fall on me and suddenly she throws her arms around me. I stand in shock for a second before hugging her back. I try my best to make her feel better, but I know there isn't much I can do.

I hear hear her quiet voice start to question me, "What's happening, Abby? I don't understand what's going on. Why does Derek want to hurt us?"

I pinch my eyes closed in guilt and stand still. I try to think of something that wouldn't be throwing Derek under the bus, but my mind comes up blank. I just pull away from the hug and shake my head sadly, "I can honestly tell you, I have no idea why Derek would want to kill us."

Her eyes meet mine and they squint again slightly, "Why are you here?" I feel my pulse race at her question and I search for any answer that would make sense, but the truth is the only thing that comes to mind.

I shrug and sigh before speaking, "I've just been hanging out with them. You made friends with Lydia and Jackson and I decided I needed some too, you know?"

Her eyes soften slightly and she looks at me sadly before opening her mouth to talk, but I cut her off before she can, "I'll go see if I can get some answers from them, okay?" I see the small amount of hesitation in her eyes before she nods and watches me go.

I walk over to the two boys standing on the opposite side of the room, but I stop walking when I hear their conversation.

"Derek said it wants revenge."

Stiles looks over at his best friend confused before shaking his head, "Against who?"

"Abby and Allison's family?" He shrugs and I feel my chest tighten at the idea. I look to the ground and back away slightly. Could my family's hunting lifestyle have anything to do with the fact that Allison's life is now at risk? I feel my blood boil at the thought. She was being threatened by a world she doesn't even know about, let alone is involved in.

Jackson's voice snaps me out pf my thoughts, "Okay, assheads, new plan. Stiles calls his useless dad and tells him to send someone with a gun and decent aim. Are we good with that?"

I roll my eyes again and start to say something sarcastic when Scott speaks before me, "He's right. Tell him the truth if you have to, just-just call him."

Stiles looks back at Scott with wide eyes and talks quietly so the rest of the group can't hear him, "I'm not watching my dad get eaten alive." He shrugs and moves away, but Jackson rushes over and grabs him.

"All right, give me the phone. " Stiles's elbow swing back and lands right against Jackson's jaw. I watch and can't help but feel nothing for Jackson as he crouches on the floor.

I watch confused as Allison rushes over in concern, "Jackson! Are you okay? Hey, are you okay?"

Stiles huffs before ripping his cellphone out of his jacket pocket. He dials a number and puts it against his ear, "Dad, hey, it's me. And it's your voice mail. Look, I need you to call me back now. Like, right now. We're at the school. Dad, we're at the school."

We all stand and move back as the barricaded doors start to shake loudly. I watch as metal starts to bend and screws fall off the locks.

Lydia grips onto Jackson's shoulder tightly, "Oh my god."

I look to my left and see another door leading in a different direction before hitting Stiles on the shoulder and nodding towards it. His eyes widen in realization, "The kitchen, the door out of the kitchen leads to the stairwell."

Scott shakes his head and continues to watch the doors in front of us shake, "Which only goes up."

I look between the group before I turn back to the doors where the alpha is fighting his way in, "Up is better than here."

Once again we all turn and follow in the direction Stiles said, but I look down and watch as a broken piece of metal flies off a chair and lands near my feet. I pick it while noticing the sharp edge and I tighten my grip around it. I quickly turn and follow the group out of the room.