nineteen; being human

"Pain, that's what keeps you human. Maybe you will survive." I hear Derek lecture before his footsteps start to get closer.

About halfway into their conversation I made my way into the house and waited for them to done. I knew Derek sensed me here and thankfully he didn't call me out on it with Scott still here.

"Is there a reason you're trespassing again?" Derek asks as he walks into the room without even looking at me. I ignore at his, what I'm assuming, attempted joke.

"I don't know what to do," I tell him as I sit on an abandoned old couch. He gives me a look to continue and I do, "I don't want to believe you. I really wish that I could just say you are a liar and then never see your stupid face again, but.."

"You know that's not true. Why would I lie? All I want is to find the alpha and making you hate your family doesn't help that plan." Derek says as he leans against the wall opposite to me. Since the moment I woke up this morning I had fought with myself over whether I should tell him what I heard last night or not.

As I stare at him all I can see is the pain behind his blank stare. Losing your family in such a way has to really take a toll on someone and to know who did it...to know it was my family...

"Last night I heard my Aunt Kate and my dad talking," I see his head pop up at the mention of this and I know I have his attention now. "I wasn't sure if I was going to tell you this. I actually thought I had decided I wasn't because after yesterday I was so royally pissed at you I didn't think you should know. She's here to help find the alpha and then to use the alpha to get to you and Scott."

His eyes widen and he moves forward quickly, "They know about Scott?!"

I quickly shake my head, "No! Well, not exactly. I'm pretty sure Kate knows there's another beta, but I'm sure she doesn't think it's Scott."

He sits next to me and I turn to face him, "That's not all. When Kate was talking about the code and killing the alpha and his pack she was different..more sinister than I've ever seen her. For the first time I didn't trust her. She acted as if the code meant nothing..."

"That's why you believe me, isn't it? You saw who she really is."

I nod slowly and stare at the floor in front of me. I always felt disconnected from Aunt Kate, but I never would have thought this of her. It hurt to know that someone I thought I could trust was capable of something so monstrous.

I feel something warm and heavy on knee and I look down to see Derek's hand resting there. I smile lightly at the comfort not even daring to look up at him.