forty two; nurse bitch and the alpha

I pull myself forward from the backseat of Stiles's jeep. I lean between Stiles and Derek, as the most sarcastic of the two talks to Scott on the phone.

I hear Scott's voice on the other line, "Did you get the picture?" Scott has finally gotten the necklace from Allison.

Stiles nods his head, even though Scott can't see him, "Yeah, I did, and it looks just like the drawing."

I jump back slightly when Derek reaches over and grips Stiles's hand bringing it, and the phone, to his own ear, "Hey, is there something on the back of it? There's gotta be something. An inscription, an opening, something."

I roll my eyes and flashback to five minutes ago when I told him it didn't. Apparently Scott is more informative than myself.

Scott's voice comes through a little staticy from the other line, but he only confirms what I had said, "No, no, the thing's flat. And, no, it doesn't open. There's nothing in it, on it, around it, nothing. And where are you? You're supposed to be here. You're first line."

I hit Derek's arm lightly and give him my best 'I told you so' face. He rolls his eyes before turning back to the phone call and shaking his head at my antics. I look over at Stiles and feel the guilt build realizing that he most likely won't be making it to his first game. I know how much being first line means to him.

"Man, you're not gonna play if you're not here to start."

"I know," Stiles runs his hand over his buzz cut, stressed, before sadly saying the next few words, "Look, if you see my dad, can you tell him-tell him I'll be there, I'll just be a little bit late, okay? All right, thanks."

He removes the phone from his ear with a sigh and I notice how stressed he really looks. I place a comforting hand on his shoulder and he gives me a forced smile. Derek turns to him, "You're not gonna make it."

I look back at him and glare heavily. He raises an eyebrow and shrugs innocently. Oh, please.

Stiles looks down at the wheel of his Jeep sadly, "I know."

"And you didn't tell him about his mom, either." I heave out an annoyed breath and punch Derek's arm. He turns to me with a look of confusion and I motion to Stiles.

'Stop being a dick,' I mouth silently and he just rolls his eyes at me. I scoff lightly and go to punch him again, but his hand grabs mine before I can. I look down at our hands together and raise an eyebrow, but he slowly lets go as Stiles's voice interrupts us.

"Not till we find out the truth."

We all look forward at the lit up sign in front of us reading, 'Beacon Hills Hospital: Long Term Care'.

Derek suddenly looks back over to Stiles, "By the way, one more thing." I raise my eyebrow, wondering what else he could possibly say, before he reaches over and slams Stiles's against the wheel.

My eyes widen at the sudden action, "Oh, my god! Derek!"

Derek looks between us with dark eyes, "He knows what that was for," Stiles continues to hold his forehead in pain and Derek just points to the building in front of us. "Go. Go!"

He opens the driver door and jumps out before I follow. "Abigail," I look up surprised. My blue eyes meet Derek's and I can't help, but smile at the sound of his voice saying my name. It's a rare occurrence. "Be careful." I smile at him one more time, and send him a wink, before shutting the door behind me, following Stiles into the building.

I walk briskly as the cold air easily gets to me under my thin hoodie. I look at Stiles as he rubs his head again and I smile weakly at him, "Does it hurt?"