Chapter 16: Try to be virtuous

Caden

"So... perhaps, did his parents live here?"

"Not exactly. I don't know much about his parents either. You see, I was very young then but mum could fill you in more."

"Mum? Your mum works here?" I had to ask.

"Yes. You must've met her in the house. Warm smile, sweet talk, motherly care..."

"Gloria!" I exclaimed in surprise and he nodded in the end.

Wow. I didn't see this coming and as I watched him, I began to see the resemblance.

Jason was helpful and thoughtful. He showed me the horses, told me their names and spoke a lot about each of them. I could tell that he'd taken them as his family.

"Do you want to ride?" He questioned as I admiringly stroked the hair of one which I'd taken a liking to. His name was storm.

I shifted my eyes back to him. His eyes, anticipated a reply from me.

I shook my head. "Oh no, I can't ride."

"That's no problem. I'll teach you." He volunteered and for a moment, I had nothing to say next. I mean, it's nice to learn something new and it shouldn't be that hard.

"Alright then." I gave in without a fight.

"But I ride storm." I declared as I turned back to the horse by my side, smiling as I did.

It was hard and a bit hilarious but with a little push from Jason, I got on the horse. It felt different and strange but not in a bad way. I felt excited about learning something new. This was a big relief at this point in the sense that I'm able to forget the situation surrounding my marriage even for a little while.

While on foot, Jason led the way, holding on to the hoses as he did. I couldn't help but watch as he ever so boldly took care of the horse. Each time he looked my way, I display a bright smile so he doesn't think I've been staring.

Chirpily, I stroll back into the house. The simple smile on my face made my mood quite obvious. I opened the fridge in the kitchen, scanned through with my eyes and finally picked out a bottle of water. Immediately, I opened and gulped down quite a sum not knowing how thirsty I've been.

I made my way out of the kitchen and headed for the stairs.

"Caden."

I turned to the direction of the familiar voice. There, he stood, away from the stairs, his face as stern as always, a hand in his pocket.

"I need to have a word with you." He stated before turning away, leading the way first. I contemplated for a second before getting off the staircase and hurrying after him.

For more than a minute, he just stared at me and though I wanted to match his gaze, for some reason, I couldn't. I met his eyes at interval, hoping he would soon admit as to why he led me all the way into his study room.

"How long do I have to stand here..."

"You're my wife." He started by interrupting me and though the fact of his statement was already known, I think this is the first time I hear him say it out loud.

"I would prefer you act with a little caution. Try to be virtuous." With that, he turned away. Quickly, I took hold of his arm, wanting to know more about the strange statement he just made.

"What do you mean by try to be virtuous?" I questioned as his eyes stared back into a pair of mine.

Waiting patiently for a reply from him, I watched as he pulled away my hand from his arm and only let go after that. Calmly, he turned his entire body to face me.

"You want me to spit it all out. Fine. You were being too friendly with my employee. It would seem you were flirting with him."

"Flirting!?" I exclaimed in disbelief before letting out a light chuckle as I folded my arms across

"How is making friends with someone called flirting and besides, you've never cared about anything I do or perhaps..." I took steps closer.

"... Don't tell me you've already fallen for me and that you're jealous? That'll be too bad because I don't feel the least bit that way about you." I boldly commented and somehow waited for any response from him but he just stared down at me. His eyes gave away no emotion and his expression forever remain undecipherable.

Suddenly, in a sparse of a second, he leaned closer, so much I leaned a bit backwards, eyes widened at how close his face was to mine.

"I've never looked at you as a woman. I hate rumors and most of all, I hate being talked about... try to be virtuous." After, he stood straight once more, turned away, making his way out of the room.

Unable to lean back any longer, I fell on the sofa behind me. For a moment, I was in complete trance from the moment he brought his face closer to mine. Way too close for comfort.

Soon, I violently shook my head in rejection of the strange thoughts and that's when I recalled his words.

"I've never looked at you as a woman."

Another chuckle left my lips as I unfolded my arms. If he doesn't see me as a woman, what does he see me as... a man?