Chapter 37: A lipstick and a pair of sneakers.

Blayze

"I win... again." She rejoiced once she showed her cards. Her smile was from one ear to the other, never leaving her face as she gave little victory dance.

I had to admit. I felt a bit frustrated but I couldn't show it. It would only prove her earlier theory right and I didn't want that.

We played once more and she won again, making her third win. The deal was four consecutive wins in a row. I was losing.

Watching her once more perform her victory dance, I couldn't help but wonder why she would wish for something like that. She could have asked for anything. Possibly, her freedom from this marriage. She could have tried asking for that but she chose a day with me.

I couldn't understand. Suddenly, she seemed more like a mystery than the open book I'd presumed her to be.

Our eyes met and for a moment, I didn't feel the hurry or need to look away.

"Shall we play the last?" She questioned with much enthusiasm. She didn't need my reply as she distributed the cards once more.

Lady luck was definitely not on my side.

She was holding her cards close to her, away from my prying eyes and I pretty much did the same with hers. Our eyes met and it would seem we were each trying to find out as much as needed about ourselves, anything to help defeat the other.

We decided to show our cards at the same time. On reveal, she leapt for joy and I let out a sigh, looking away.

"You are pretty much mine." She declared in excitement.

Her sentence felt a little unsettling so I returned my eyes to her. The awkward look on her face and embarrassment in her eyes said much about the fact she realised just how presumptuous her sentence might have sounded.

"I won so I'm allowed to say what I want." She was quick to defend as she stood straight.

Nevertheless, this had been a terrible idea.

I stood to my feet, making my way back to my desk.

"What are you doing?" Her voice forced my eyes back on her.

"You do recall our deal, right? And the part where I said spend the entire day with me."

"Do I have to? It was just a game and you were much experienced at it than I was so you easily won."

"No, no, no. Don't do that." She countered as she drew closer.

"I thought you're a business man. You know once a deal is sealed, it is sealed so we're doing things my way today." Her decision was firm and also, she was right but I wasn't going to admit it to her.

"For starters, no working today." She shut the laptop before I even realised it.

"Let's have fun. We are going somewhere beyond the walls of your home and office." She added, sealing her statement with a smile.

"I'm going to change my clothes and..." She looked me up and down.

"... you should do the same." She was out of the room faster than I'd expected.

A louder sigh left my lips as I looked away from the door. It seems she was taking the entire situation much serious than I'd presumed.

What have I signed up for?

Caden

I stepped out of the closet and stood in front of the mirror to have a good look at the green floral dress I'd put on. I rarely wore a dress but, for some reason, I suddenly felt drawn to this one in particular for today. I took a seat on the stool in front of the dressing table and pondered for a second at my reflection in the mirror.

After shrugging off every negative thought, I took off the band that held my hair together and brushed. It was perfect to me. I thought about bundling it all back up but this time, I felt the need to let it fall. I pushed the strands on one side behind my ear.

Staring at my reflection, I felt complete and ready. Suddenly, I took notice of my lips and strangely had an urge to give it more colour than the natural it already had. I reached down to a drawer and took out a lipstick. As I applied the light shade of pink, I felt a little stupid.

What am I doing?

The door opened and as he walked in, I quickly wiped the lipstick off my lips before getting up to face him. He spared me no look as he walked right into the closet to put on something different as I'd suggested.

I found myself letting out a deep breath that I'd involuntarily hung in as soon as he walked in. For a moment, I stared at the lipstick.

This is definitely too much. I'm just trying to have my way for a day and it's nothing like a date.

I took out the drawer I left the lipstick back in its place.

Blayze walked out of the closet in the process of buttoning up his shirt. Shirt? I couldn't help furrowing my brows at his choice of attire and finally, he looked up to me. His gaze was steady for a moment, his eyes looking me from up to down and back up. I couldn't help self-consciously trying to act or seem straight, poised.

He was quick to look away without saying a word. I looked away myself for a moment to ease up the strange annoyance that crawled inside me.

"You're not leaving in that, are you?" I asked once my eyes were back on me. He spared me a momentary look and that was enough for me to know my answer.

Without wasting a second more, I walked back into the closet and scanned with my eyes for any casual attires he had. I found them including a pair of sneakers. Holding them all in my hands, I made my way back out, leaving them on the bed.

"Here, put these on." I insisted and watched as he looked from me to them and back to me. His expression was hard to tell what he was thinking but once I saw the light sigh he let out as he looked away for a moment, I could somehow phantom his thoughts.

Without uttering a word, he began unbuttoning the shirt he had on.

Wow, he's being very cooperative which kind of makes this no fun. He picked up the clothes off the bed and made his way back into the closet.

I drew in a deep breath as I ran a hand through my hair. There was a strange nervous feeling that settled deep within my chest as I took a seat on the bed. He walked out looking different and cool in a way that I'd never seen him before. He looked less serious and I couldn't stop the simple smile that drew up.

"Is this enough for you?' His question jugged my senses right back to reality.

"Yes Mr. stuck-up. This is enough for me." I proclaimed as I got off the bed and handed him his final clothing. A coat.

I hurried to get my jacket and afterwards wore my strap on bag over my head.

"Let's go." I urged as I took the lead. A sudden hold on my wrist stopped me on my tracks and I was forced to look back. Blayze was responsible.

"This... whatever you're trying to do is not going to change anything between us." The look in his eyes, the sound of his voice was very intimidating and convincing but I fall prey to it and throw in the towel then... that'll just not be me.

Drawing up a warm smile, I added, "we'll see."