Chapter 44: Wives and what they do for their husbands.

Caden

That evening, as I stared at my reflection in the mirror, I was surprised at how far I'd let this go. I looked like a completely different woman and yet, all I could think about was if he would be impressed with how dolled up I'd gotten. I felt upset with myself for thinking that way and yet, there was nothing I could do.

A sigh left my lips as I stood at the top of the stairs and sighted Blayze waiting by the last staircase. He hasn't taken notice of my presence yet.

"I can do this." I whispered to myself. Although a dress wasn't really my cup of tea, I was happy for once that it was more flowy and free.

"Blayze." I called as I made my way down the stairs and watched as he turned to me. I couldn't help it as a simple smile wore on my face. I was glad as he kept his eyes on me till I got down to his level.

"How do I look? Prettier than you expected?" I joked to ease up my nervousness. For a moment, I couldn't grasp his expression or thoughts and then he spoke up.

"What took you so long? You're going to make us late." Having said that, he walked away. My smile fell and the nervous feeling was replaced by anger and frustration.

"Unbelievable." I stated before following after him.

"I need you to be on your best behaviour. It's her birthday so try to get friendly with her. Mr Boomer only listens to his wife so leave a good impression on her." Blayze addressed as we rode closer towards the hall. I couldn't help but stare at him. He was showing me a different side to him.

He glanced my side once and again.

"What? Why are you staring at me like that?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe because you're trying to use your wife to get ahead in your business but then again, you married me for that same business."

"Stop talking rubbish and just do as I say."

"And if I don't? I don't get to lose anything but you can kiss your precious contract goodbye so if I were you, I'd change my tone. You need me." I expressed before looking away from him and only when I heard a sigh from him did I look his side once more.

"Well..." I started, my heart having gone softer at the sound of his sigh.

"... I didn't say I won't do it. I just have to play nice with her, right?"

He looked my side once more without uttering a word and his eyes were back on the road ahead.

"Yes."

"Got it." I replied right away before looking away. I sounded confident but, in all honesty, I was nervous. How do I make an old rich housewife like me? I've never bothered trying to do something like this before. I never saw the need in begging for another's approval and that's why Mia is my only close friend.

I've got this.

I reminded myself as we made our way towards the main entrance regardless of the snaps and flashlights we got from the paparazzi that hung around.

Walking in, we were welcomed with the sound of classical music, the sight of elegance and the feeling that this was a place only for the rich.

"Blayze." A man with lightly caramel complexion and looked somewhat in his early fifties called as he walked up to us with a smile drawn across his face and a champagne glass in one hand. His black tux was perfect on him.

"You made it." He cheered as he stopped in front of us, stretching out a hand for a handshake and though a bit reluctant, I watched as Blayze accepted it and he was drawn into an unforeseen hug. I noticed the shock on Blayze's face once he was let go of. I couldn't help the light amusement that played on my face in that regards.