Chapter 25: Two can play that game.

Caden

Chewing lightly on nothing within my mouth and making my position much more comfortable, I was able to sleep for a few more seconds then slowly, my eyes fluttered open. For the moment, I just stared ahead, not moving and only until my eyes lurked around did I realize where I was.

Slowly, I looked down unto what I'd grasped comfortably and so dearly unto. In a second of realization, my eyes widened but I made no movement.

Arm!?

Why am I here!? How did I get so close to him!?

Damn it. I and my cursed sleep postures. Do I pull away now?

Inwardly, I shook my head at that thought. I'm way too embarrassed to do that. I really don't want to meet his eyes or hear whatever he has to say so for a while more, I stayed the same way and it would seem he barely noticed.

Slightly, I rose my eyes up to steal a glance at his face and caught him staring out through the window. Suddenly, a thought crossed my mind.

He complained so much about laying a hand on him but now, I did more than that. Why didn't he push me away? Why is there no reaction from him? Perhaps, have I read him wrong all this while?

Turning his head away, his eyes looked down at me. Instantly, I shut mine and pretended to be asleep. I could only pray he hadn't noticed I was awake.

For a few more minutes, he said nothing and made no reaction so I believed he knew nothing of my consciousness. I felt the car draw to a stop. Are we home? Finally, because I'm a little exhausted from pretending to be asleep.

"Caden." He called but I gave no reply, seeing it fit to act my sleeping role as proper as possible till the end.

Unexpectedly, he shrugged a bit violently, pulling his arm away from my hold before I could realize it and I was forced to fall to my side, my eyes finally opened. Our eyes met.

"You've pretended enough, don't you think?" having said that, he pushed open the door and stepped down.

A sigh left my lips as I sat up.

"Pretended enough?" I repeated.

Does that mean he knew I wasn't asleep all this time? Well, why didn't he say anything? He made me put on an exhausting act.

In regret and annoyance, I made my way out of the car then headed straight to my room.

That evening, I ate dinner alone at the huge dining table. Each moment I chewed, I couldn't help but glance around and slowly, it dawned on me at how lonely I'd gotten.

Is this really going to be my life?

Blayze

I took hold of the jug, holding a glass cup in the other hand and ready to pour myself some water but only little came out. I realized I needed to get some so I left the glass on the table and headed out of my room with the jug, down the hall, stairs and towards the kitchen.

"Don't you think Mr. Norman and his wife are a little odd?"

I drew to a stop at the mention of my name just a step more into the kitchen.

"Odd? That's an understatement. They act nothing like married couples. They speak to each other like enemies, eat separately and even sleep separately. Personally, I don't think they're what they portrayed to the world to be." A second female voice said her part.

"Do you think their marriage is a... farce?"

Not waiting for the other to reply, I walked in, headed straight to the fridge. Though, I met neither of their eyes, I could feel the guilt from their silence. So, without uttering a word, I left the kitchen the same way I came in after I was done.

Do you think their marriage is a... farce?

On my way up the stairs, I recalled the last sentence I'd overhead. This wasn't good. If the helpers start talking, it's only a matter of before rumors spread, ruining everything I'd built in the first place.

Caden

My eyes opened and I sat up instantly. I looked the side of the window and ray of the early morning sun seeping in through the light curtains.

Blayze.

I recalled my agenda and quickly hurried off the bed. Everything was done a little quicker and finally, I hurried my way down the stairs and towards the door. As soon as I opened and attempted a step forward, a hand came into my path. I followed it to its owner. A man dressed in the security uniform.

"I'm sorry Mrs Norman but you can't leave the house."

For a moment, I blinked several times as I stared at the man. This has got to be a joke. Disregarding his words, I attempted another step forward and another hand came into my path. I looked my other side and realized there was another security guard.

"Please cooperate Mrs Norman. We wouldn't like to use force." He added and all I could do was stare at the man a bit bewildered.

Afterwards, a light scoff left my lips.

Blayze... I see this is how to want to play this game. Fine. Two can play that game.