Still Not Home

Before they could stop it, they faded from the room; hearing loud bangs and screams they fluttered their eyes open. They rose to their feet discreetly looking up to see houses. Narrow, long winded terrace houses in the dark midst of the black night.

The cold wind blew in; stinging Ginny's face painfully. With their quivering hands and shattering teeth they turned to glance at each other, both as cold as ice (looking like ice too) harshened by the temperature.

"Well, I guess we're still not home!" Ginny said with a slight chuckle as her icy breath waved out.

"What shall we do?!" Hermione shouted with anger, she still wondered how the potion was altered or if it was actually purposely. They gazed around the gloomy and silent street hoping to notice any bright lights, but there were none. Until they heard a sound, footprints starting to appear. "hello, hello?" Hermione spoke in a gentle whisper, there was someone in the distance, but where?

As they saw a dark shadow walking towards them, Ginny gulped not knowing what to expect. As the person came into the light their appearance became very clear lifting all the nerves of Ginny with sighs of relief.

It was a young woman with chestnut hair, green glasses and brown eyes. Despite the weather she still had crimson cheeks. She was wearing a navy coat and a scarf wrapped around her neck. She glanced at Hermione and Ginny for a moment then smiled gracefully at them which they returned kindly.

"Hello, I've not seen you around here before, are you new in this street?"

"Well I-I" Ginny spoke with a blank mind emptied by telling the ultimate of lies; having no more thoughts.

"No we aren't, but we were just going for a walk from our house, and we happened to be lost now." Hermione interrupted saving Ginny.

"At this time, with it being so cold?" She questioned with a laugh while Hermione nodded agreeing it was rather odd. "Anyway, I'd love to help, we'll find out the directions to your home or if you don't want to walk you can ring your parents to come and pick you up, I don't even know how they let you out this dark! Meanwhile, come inside you must be freezing." She said  kindly as they gave her grateful faces.

"No, that's alright, we'll find our way." Hermione said avoiding her offer, knowing she couldn't really call anyone, however the woman shook her head. "I insist, don't worry it won't take long, you can't possibly find your way now if you're lost and you have to come inside to use the telephone."

They (realising she wasn't going to leave them alone) followed her into her house, with Hermione whispering ' we shouldn't go into stranger's houses' Ginny responding 'but she seems nice, and we'll be in and out, pretend to ring someone and then wait outside for them.' Finishing with Hermione rolling her eyes.

They went in and expected what they got, a nice girly and cosy home. Hermione picked up the telephone and trying to dial a number not used to the old circles. She didn't really call anyone but faked a conversation then put the phone down.

"Our mum said she'll be here quick, I saw the street sign. So we might as well wait outside."

"How did you manage to get lost from your home when it's only five minutes away, have you never been out of the house?" She joked with Hermione faking a laugh unaware of the confusing statements she was making.

As they were about to head out, they wondered what they would actually do next, but decided to get out of the house first. As they nearly walked through the door they heard her say "oh happy Halloween!"

Ginny smiled trying not to look shocked however Hermione just had a feeling in her stomach, a bad feeling. "I know this will sound crazy but what year is it?" The lady looked bewildered " It's 1981 of course."

Hermione's face froze, as Ginny stood as puzzled as the woman. "Ginny, you know what's today right?" she shook her head trying to think. "The 31st of October, 1981... It's the day Harry's parents were murdered..."