C H A P T E R 6_

(song: "Decepticons" by Steve Jablonsky)

The next morning I rise and put on my clothes I came to this place in; my black skinny jeans, shirt, leather jacket, motorcycle gloves, and combat boots. I join the others as agents and occupants of the ship rush around for frantic information on Loki's whereabouts or that of the cube. I wish I had information to help them but I don't.

I stand by the huge window of the ship with nothing to aid the others in whatsoever. I'm not smart enough to track the cube and our technology to be able to do that has been destroyed yesterday. So I watch the clouds moving beneath us as I hope they can figure something out...

I hear Fury enter the room on the upper level. I turn my head to see him, Thor, Tony, and Steve around the table up there...

I make my way to where they are and join them quietly.

Everyone seems silent, or calculating...

Fury has something in his hands and he finally shows us

Fury has something in his hands and he finally shows us. "These were in Phil Coulson's jacket," he says and tosses a couple vintage Captain America trading cards on the table in front of Rogers, blood staining the corner of one... "I guess he never did get you to sign them," Fury mutters.

He was a fan of Captain America? That just makes this day even more painful and I think Steve feels this way as well when his sad eyes fall on the small pieces of paper...

"We're dead in the air up here," he continues. "Our communications, the location of the cube, Banner... I got nothing for you... I lost my one good eye... Maybe I had that coming," he says placing his hands on the table and looking down. "Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract..."

I glance up at him with hard eyes. I know of their plans with the cube from hacking their mainframe long ago. I know they were only building the weapons though to protect the earth from aliens like Loki. Normal guns aren't exactly the best weapon for killing those. Only a shot straight through the head with no distance whatsoever could kill an Asgardian. Maybe not even then.

Fury continues, "I never put all my chips on that number though because I was playing something even riskier." He straightens up and looks at us all. "...There was an idea, Stark knows this, called The Avengers Initiative... The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people to see if they could become something more; to see if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea... in heroes."

Stark rises from his seat then, the grief being too much for him, anger in his eyes as he leaves the room.

It's silent after that happens...