C H A P T E R 1 4_

All of us work on training the rest of the day and I focus on helping the others, taking it slow myself as to save my strength. I tell the others they should probably do the same and not get too worn out but they don't really listen. After all, they don't know what's coming.

After a long hard day I stand on the roof watching the skies that are quiet. The sun disappears behind the silhouette of distant city buildings and I squint from the remaining golden light as the wind tugs at my loose locks.

 The sun disappears behind the silhouette of distant city buildings and I squint from the remaining golden light as the wind tugs at my loose locks

Loki approaches at my side and looks off to where I do.

"They'll be here after midnight," he breaks the silence with a serious tone

"They'll be here after midnight," he breaks the silence with a serious tone. "These mundane beings will never be ready."

I take a deep breath. "No, I doubt they will. But we will all be fine so long as everything goes to plan."

"There is a reason I don't stick to plans. They never work..."

I roll my eyes. "The last time we didn't have a plan, we died. That will not be happening again."

"...Are you sure?" he asks with his eyebrows pulled together. He is looking down but then he seems to look up and into my eyes, something deep beneath them, as if he's searching for something on my face, taking in my image.

I raise a brow. "What? Do I have something on my face?"

He hesitates, that look of grief in his eyes. And when I tap into his mind I see he is remembering how I looked when I was dying on the battlefield. He looks down for a moment and then back out at the view before he mutters, "No."

As I watch him, the image of my dying self still flashes behind my retinas. It is hard to imagine what he felt during that moment, but it must have been more than what his eyes are showing. I put my hand on his shoulder, and I give him a small smile.

He only glances at me for a moment, staying serious before he says, "We have to worn them."

"Alright-y then," I say before I turn around and head back inside.